Car Prep Questions: Lemons vs NASA

Dfreeman

I'm looking to get into NASA or SCCA sprint racing.  I've done Lemons endurance series for years.  I've got an 83 Nissan 300ZX that I'm starting to get running and race prep.  With Lemons, they just limit modifications by $$, so things like weight reduction by stripping the interior or such is fine.  I want the car to be legal in both Lemons and a sprint series, but trying to keep to a budget.  I don't want to do something simple (like remove the dash for weight) that then puts me in some crazy NASA class where the car can't compete.  I'm planning to keep the engine, transmission, and basic suspension stock.

Key questions:
is there a race series / class I should be aiming for?  A quick glance seems like the Super Touring might be the only option.

are there simple changes I would make (weight reduction, removing glass, changing the air intake location, cutting vents for cooling parts, fuzzy dice) that are going to immediately launch me into a crazy classification?