Transmission rule

jp99gt

I wanted to open a thread for transmission questions.

My particular question is about rule 37, which states

37) Upgrade number of gears in transmission, or altered gear ratios +2

I understand the intent of this rule, but I am concerned for my situation about applying it strictly.

My 99 Mustang GT came originally equipped with an automatic transmission (standard Ford 4R70W). After a couple of years of open tracking, it blew apart at 105 mph and needed replacement. So did my underwear.

I replaced it with a standard manual transmission used in that model year (T45), along with a typical heavy duty clutch.

However, according to rule 37, I have to add points because I both increased the number of gears (4 to 5) and altered the transmission gear ratios, even though it is now the same as a stock manual Mustang. This doesn't seem fair, and gives a 2 pt advantage to car that started out in life with a manual transmission.

So if one does a transmission swap from auto to manual, does it require the points to be added?

Thanks.

I would think that such a swap would or should be allowed without any penalty so long as the gearset is stock out of a similar Mustang equipped with a 5 speed.

There is a similar problem with the Neon... Not only would there be a penalty for switching from auto trans to stick, but within the "stock" range of vehicles, there were no less than three different gearsets. For example some of the later Neons used a taller 5th gear than some of the earlier models that were similarly equipped. AutoX guys like this trans because they never see 5th in competition... but it is a nice cruising gear. The earlier trans is better suited for roadracing because the gear splits between 4th and 5th are closer. However, it does seem unfair that the guy who is running an otherwise identical car would be penalized 2 points to get the same gear set that is available on the earlier version.

Although my 95 Neon came with the shorter 5th gear, I certainly would not be opposed to a rule that allowed to the use of any gear set that was otherwise available in the entire range of vehicles of a similar vintage; e.g. the 95-99 Neon.

• National Staff

Dave, the updating/backdating rules should cover these situations provided that the replacement tranny is the one that comes on the base (or like) model. As you mentioned, the idea is to obtain parity between cars that have the same base class, and **'s, and are the same model, but have different parts such as tranny's. So, in general, swapping a manual tranny from a base trim model of a vehicle with an automatic would not lead to a points assessment. Now, if you are changing gear ratios, as you described above, if it did not fit under the update/backdate rules, it would be assessed points.

Isn't this allowed under the Updating/Backdating rule in 6.4?
...the updating/backdating rules should cover these situations provided that the replacement tranny is the one that comes on the base (or like) model

Ok, I understand the intent of this section better now. I wasn't clear it was the case since 6.4 states "Any part that is identical in size, shape, and functional characteristics compared to the part that originally came on the vehicle ... " An automatic transmission is fundamentally different in "functional characteristics" than a manual (automatic clutch, gear shifting, etc.).

Just trying not to get in hot water with my region's TT Director

• National Staff

Yeh, since we actually classed the car based on the manual tranny model, by replacing with the OEM tranny, you are actually just getting back to even with all of the other guys with your model.

The part of 6.4 that you quoted is related to OEM parts substitutions, not updating and backdating. The paragraph regarding updating/backdating is the last one in that subsection, and does not use the wording you described above.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack this thread but I think it's relevant. Seeing as this car was an automatic and PROBABLY was equipped with a 3.27 final drive ratio would he acrue points for this? AFAIK 2.73, 3.08, 3.27 (possibly some others in older models and non V8s) were all that were available in base models(correct me if I'm wrong) and anything else would be special order...Are the door tags used in determinig this? Clarification please.

• National Staff
Not to hijack this thread but I think it's relevant. Seeing as this car was an automatic and PROBABLY was equipped with a 3.27 final drive ratio would he acrue points for this? AFAIK 2.73, 3.08, 3.27 (possibly some others in older models and non V8s) were all that were available in base models(correct me if I'm wrong) and anything else would be special order...Are the door tags used in determinig this? Clarification please.

If his final drive is different than the base model manual transmission vehicle, then technically he would either need to update it also to the specs of the manual transmission vehicle that he used for the update/backdate rule, or be assessed the +2 points.

In the case of my model year Mustang GT, automatics and manuals both used the same final drive ratio (3.27) so no changes were mandated. I did upgrade to 3.55's later, and took the points as appropriate.