Welding doors shut??

peerless

I am still new to club racing and this board but have a question regarding my car.

In the event I turn my car into a dedicated track car, Is it acceptable to weld the rear doors shut?

I have a BMW 325E 4 door.

I think it would be unique to race a 4 door sedan, I am assuming not very many people do?

Thanks,

To be honest, I think it would be a pain to have the doors welded shut. There are many times where I'm under the dash with my legs hanging out over the top of the door bars. If you want to remove big items like the seat, you'll need the doors open.

Depending on the class, it would most likely be illegal.....

Actually, we have a couple of cars in USTCC with 4 doors.

Bo and Luke did it on the General Lee...

Hee Haa

Not, it was more of a chassis stiffening thing. Since I would be removing the interior and rear seat as well as installing a rollcage, it made sense to weld the rear doors shut as they would have no functionality anyways.

If I end up tracking this car, I am not concerned with opening the rear doors, nor resale value. I am sure it will get beat to hell in a matter of a few race seasons anyways.

Thanks Anyways,

• National Staff

I've got a 4 door, and like Dave said, you end up using those doors more than you would think. I use them to set up the video camera/change tapes, easier access to harnesses for adjustments or replacement, removal of seat bolts and seat if necessary, and to check/service an on-board fire system if the bottle is mounted back there.

I agree, I go in and out the back all the time for all the reasons Greg stated and more (e.g., it's the easiest way to get to the rear shock adjustment, too).

If you're trying to stiffen the chassis see whether your car responds to a subframe connector or something like that (if the cage isn't providing enough stiffness for you). Seam welding does wonders as well, but check the rules for your class first.

Alright guys, thanks for the help. I guess I wont be welding anything shut.

I wasnt really thinking of the things mentioned above. I guess it would be a pain to go throught the front to do everything. Makes sense.

Thanks Again for the advice.