new guy starting hdpe in june

2egcivic

hey im from ohio and i just signed up for an hdpe course at beaverun in june.. i need the extra time to get the motor and turbo set-up in and tuned.. im running a 95 civic coupe with a bunch of suspension and brake work..

i had a couple questions about the course.. i registered for a 2 day event, do i start in hdpe 1 the first day and move on into hdpe 2 the next? is it based on skill and if you impress your instructor? or do i stay in hdpe 1 for the 2 days no matter what? its not really a big deal but i would like to know.. im in no hurry to get a license.. but of course i would like to think ill do well and move on..

is it wise to run on my 215/40r16 toyo proxes for learning? theyre a decent tire i dont know how well they will do on a track but theyre not bad around town..

what about catch cans and such.. are they required?

thanks for any help

sean

Wow, your post sounds like the archetype of the scary student driver !

Don't try to impress anybody at a race track. It's a recepie for disaster.

Your instructor will be the one to bump you into HPDE2 if you are safe enough for it.

If this is your first time on a track, you really need to focus on learning the track and how to get around it safely. I watched alot of videos of the track before I did my first HPDE at Mid-Ohio, the video and the real thing are completely different. You'll have alot more respect for the track once you get out there. You'll love it , I'm hooked for life!

hah.. i wasnt implying that i was going out there to impress anyone.. in all honesty i dont know much about racing on a track.. i just didnt know how you moved up in the classes.. im going to the class to learn, not to pretend that im a great driver.. if the instructor tells me i suck and i need to spend another 20 sessions in hdpe1 thats fine.. i want to learn all i can so i will feel confident that i can do well on a track on my own..

hah.. i wasnt implying that i was going out there to impress anyone.. in all honesty i dont know much about racing on a track.. i just didnt know how you moved up in the classes.. im going to the class to learn, not to pretend that im a great driver.. if the instructor tells me i suck and i need to spend another 20 sessions in hdpe1 thats fine.. i want to learn all i can so i will feel confident that i can do well on a track on my own..

That sounds better...

Before the first track event I did, I thought I was a GREAT driver. After one lap, I realized just how bad I sucked.

It's a whole different world once you get there. DO go out with the thought of having a good time and be there to learn. Don't get the "I am now a race driver" attitude after day one. More often than not, that's when I end up putting a car on a tilt bed.

It is not unheard of to be bumbed in the first day But here in Socal your still in the same group, so don't worrie about it to much. Just take it slow your first time out and build your speed from there!

At least the stock overflow for the Rad, your motor is going to make alot of heat.

Think safty first

thanks.. i just wanted to make sure i wont have any problems with small things like catch cans and whatnot for tech inspection.. id hate to drive an hour to be turned away.. hopefully after tomorrow this wont be a daily driver, but i dont have any intentions of going out and pushing it to the limit.. learn the track, learn how to drive.. thats what im there for.. and have fun on a track..

in all honesty i dont know much about racing on a track...

Whoa! First of, you're not going to be "racing" for a while so don't psyche yourself too much. HPDE stands for High Performance Drivers EDUCATION and the point of HPDE is to teach you the proper line and techniques used in high performance driving. You're not going to be racing anybody and nobody should be racing you either in HPDE. You will be driving at a pace that you're comfortable with and nobody should be pressuring you to go faster than you're comfortable with. That's why HPDE groups are not racing groups.

You will start in HPDE 1 and may stay there for several events depending on how comfortable you feel and if your instructor signs you off to progress up the next step in the ladder. As you progress up the ladder to HPDE 2, then 3, you'll naturally learn and improve your technique. By the time you reach HPDE 4, you'll know if you're ready to move into the Time Trial groups. And if you're still itching to go racing, THEN you can sign up for the racing school. But everything will be done at a pace that you AND your instructors (and NASA officials) set. The point of HPDE is to have fun, do it safely and properly, while learning proper techniques.