Almost lost it this morning

peerless

My car that is. I pulled a dumb move and lost control of my car. I was able to recover it and all is well. Anyways I would like to explain what happened and see if their was anything I could have done to have kept better control.

Ok, on the way to work I always make a left at a particular intersection, it is almost always wet. I like to have fun and roll out and nail first just to get the rear end loose and then hit second and get a real nice little 30-50' drift/slide going on. I am very comfortable with it and countersteer and hit 3rd and motor on my way with a big smile. Have done it almost everyday for like 2 months now. (only when traffic is allowing, of course

This morning was exceptionally wet and misty. As soon as I hit second gear the rear slid around so fast like I was on ice. I paniced and lifted hard off the throttle, oh lord the whole car just bucked like a wild horse and threw me in the other direction heading for the curb/sidewalk, I countersteered and applied throttle again only to bring the rear end back around torward the center divider, I lifted hard again and again the car pitched back torward the curb/sidewalk. At this point I have lost all reference with the steering and have no idea which way the wheels are pointed. I just let go of the wheel and throttle and let the car settle in still heading for the curb. The wheel straightened out and with some very gentle braking was able to get her pointed in the right direction and was able to throttle out of it all and get on down the road.

I know that slamming on the brakes would have been the worst becuase I would have just skidded into the center divider or curb. I also know that lifting the throttle is not what you want to do either. But what could I have done?? The rear end was coming completely around, like 360 spin out style.

I am thankful for not crashing or endangering anyone else. I do make sure no one is close to me when I pull this little stunt. I made a very bad judgement call this morning. First time I have lost control of this car since I have owned it for 3 years.

"you never know if your in control till you have been out of control"

Anyways if you have any tips one how I could have handled the situation a little better I would be all ears.

I have a feeling I am going to get grilled on this one

Well it was actually related to Driving Skill or lack thereof.

I was just hoping someone might have some advise from experience in the situation.

Lets look at it from another angle,

I was in a race under wet conditions and came into hard left and lost it as described above. Any advise or race tips.

Is there anything I could have done different the could have helped me better control the car in the given situation.

Just trying to learn something here.

I was just riding you....

If no one else responds... my input is throttle control, in the first place in that situation. I 100% know how you felt and what you experienced. As last year I was in an AI rain race at Las Vegas, and spun my car 5 times in a single race. Although I was on slick tires with no tred, and half of the track was in a inch of water, so were other drivers, and I simply did not manage the throttle well. After a car begins to spin like you did, there is not much you can do. It will just keep whipping back and forth with each input you give.....until is slows to a point where the tires begin to grip again.

andy....

• Members
Lets look at it from another angle,

I was in a race under wet conditions and came into hard left and lost it as described above. Any advise or race tips.

Is there anything I could have done different the could have helped me better control the car in the given situation.

Just trying to learn something here.

Greatest tip in the world, right here.

"Slow down".

There ya have it. Please, keep the aplause down, lets move onto the next thread.

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the experience. I know where I stand with the car a little better. I did use too much throttle that morning, now I know what it feels like and will remember.

"you never know if your in control till you have been out of control"

Well, now I know

Thanks again,

• 2 months later...

Once you blow that first countersteer (ie-react too slow) you are playing catch up until you scrub enough speed.

When you are out of control, you ideally want to get the vehicle pointed straight. However, if you countersteer too much, you can retransfer that weight at a great rate and cause the second countersteer to be muc worse.

At VIR, I lost control on cold tires going through the uphill essess (around 65 mph, nice cold day on street tires). I countersteered and the tail whipped in the opposite direction, but I managed to hold on and scrub enough speed so that I could straighten the car out.

On the street, you have to lower your limit, there are tooooo many things that can happen. By driving exceedingly hard, you are greatly increasing your chances of wrecking.

Nothing is controlled out there on the street.

Dave

sounds like your problem (other than trying this stuff on the street) was lifting too violently in the middle of the turn - you need to be smooth and quick. Lifting off the throttle too quickly causes weight transfer just like braking does.

bruce

Hey thanks for more replies,

Ya, I learned a little bit that day. It was really the panic that got me. The second I lifted hard off the throttle I knew I was in trouble. In retrospect it was a good experience becuase I had read and heard about the danger of lifting the throttle too fast, and I got some real first hand experience that morning.

As of late I have been concentrating on being a better, smoother driver. I am trying to get my skills up. I can heal-toe very well now, I can take street corners much faster (Safely) and yet a whole lot smoother. I try to feel the road and think about stuff like upsetting the car in a corner, trying to get it to settle and keep the turn consistant. Unwinding and trying to use as much of the road as possible, even if its just in my lane.

I got my brakes setup nicely for the street and hopefully soon, HPDE1. I invested in a 17" Panaramic Mirror as well. The visibilty is really so much better and I try to keep my head straight and use my mirrors. Just practicing and getting better.

I am looking forward to my first track event, but life has been constanly throwing new twists on me so it's taking longer.

Thanks again for the experiences, I enjoy reading about them and learning. I also got the Skip Barber "Going Faster" book. Very informative.

Later,