Official Tire Submission Thread for Tire Model Consideration for the +1.0 and +1.6 Mod Factor Groups

Greg G.

• National Staff

The 2022 ST/TT rules necessitate that we have an ongoing process of assessment and reassessment of tires that are approved for the +1.0 and +1.6 Modification Factor groupings.  The listings will change over time.  None of us have control over what a tire manufacturer may do to a specific tire that changes its previously known characteristics, with or without public release of that information.  So, we do expect that at some point, tires may change categories or be moved out of the groupings.  This is just the nature of a rapidly moving tire industry with numerous players looking for market share. 

Please submit requests here for only a tire that you actually currently use or you would seriously consider using.  Also, don't waste your time and ours with the obvious tires that do not fit in these groupings, or the tires that we have previously discussed that won't be put in these groups. 

Decisions will not be made strictly based on best possible single lap time.  As you can see from the current lists, there are certain tires that are somewhat favored as we believe they will give our drivers the best overall outcomes and will be be the best at increasing series participation, while proving a good balance of performance.  We will look at these factors: lap times, race performance, longevity, tire budget, current and potential future contingency prize programs, and tire size availability.  Some decisions may be made very quickly, and others may take weeks, months, or even years of data collection. 

Please submit only the following information here (all other discussion will be deleted).  This will be a clean thread, with just submissions and the results of the submission edited onto the submission post.  Feel free to start a new thread (or on FB) for discussions about the merits of your specific submission:

1) Tire Manufacturer
2) Tire Model and any other descriptors used by the manufacturer to differentiate the tire from others they have, like compound, TW, etc.
3) Date of release of the tire to the public
4) Proposed Mod Factor Group
5) Links to published test data comparisons for this tire model versus others already approved
6) A brief statement as to why the tire should be placed in the Mod Factor group you have requested

LIST OF TIRE APPROVED SINCE LAST PUBLISHED RULES REVISION:

Edited by Greg G.

• National Staff

FYI, if we get a bunch of submissions approved before the season starts, we will put them into the actual published rules, instead of having them listed in a Technical Bulletin for an entire year.

The first tire approved after rules release is the Nankang NS-2R 180 - approved for the +1.6 Mod Factor group. 
Also note that Nankang is changing the name of the CR-1 to CR-S on January 1, 2022.

Edited by Greg G.

1) GoodYear 
2) SuperCar 3R , SuperCar 3R TPC Spec
3) Sometime in 2016/2017
4) .6
5) AIM Data Can Be Provided - Comparison Car would be a ZL1 1LE (I gotta be better about my AIM Notes)
6) While this tire has quality lateral G Grip that is comparable to a Hoosier A7 it is not on par with the A7. It does hot have the Long G Grip of a Hoosier A7, Under braking and accelleration the A7 out performs.  More heavily noted the more whp the vehicle has.

Request is denied.  The tire is as fast or faster than the R7 with greater longevity, and the R7 has no Mod Factor. As well--"don't waste your time and ours with...the tires that we have previously discussed that won't be put in these groups."  Greg

Repsectfully Sir, There was no discussion I was part of.  So it was worth a try.

Edited by Greg G.
Request Denied

Can We get clarification on the Maxxis RC1  / R2 compound 

Maxxis changed the compound and is now calling them R2s  --- Can we assume that the Current  +1.6 modifier for the RC1 would be the same as the R2?  Since you can not buy RC1 any longer.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/victra-vr-1-and-rc-1-compound-change/

The name of the tire is still the Maxxis RC-1, and there is only one compound available for it at this time, so it is permitted as listed (as are the older ones getting cycled out of garages).  Greg

Edited by Greg G.

1) Kumho
2) V720 ACR 200TW   OEM Tire on Dodge Viper ACR
3) Tire was released in late 2015 and is still produced now.
4) 1.0 Mod Factor
5) I do not have any data at this point other than my own lap times.
6) Based on MY lap times during testing/competing in Rocky Mountain Region, this tire has been giving me .5 seconds per lap faster than Toyo RR. This tire is OEM spec to the 5th Gen Viper ACR. And only comes in 2 sizes, 295/25/19 and 355/30/19. This tire is allowed also for SCCA Time Trials competition when OEM to the vehicle.

We purposely did not include this one, as the limited data we could find suggested it may be closer to a 3R or R7.  We know that it has been banned from many 200 series.  Data seems difficult to find.  If you can find more published data, we can reassess.  Greg

Edited by Greg G.

• 2 weeks later...

Clarification

Michelin CUP2. 

Standard feature in many cars. 

Cup2 is slower than A052 but faster than many 1.6 tires. 

I only see cup2 connect in the calculator .i assumed you mean the 240tw.  If so, this should be in the 1.6 group?

Please help. 

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect (240) and the Pilot Sport Cup 2 are both +1.0 Mod Factor tires. 

Greg

Screenshot_20211219-090422.png

Screenshot_20211219-090429.png

Edited by Greg G.

Pirelli trofeo are in the same HOOSIER category?

Yes, the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R is a no Mod Factor tire. 

Greg

Edited by Greg G.

• 3 weeks later...

Greg. What about cup2R? (140tw)

They are part of the cup2 family but want to be sure. 

No.  The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2R is not in the +1.0 or +1.6 Mod Factor group.  Greg.

Edited by Greg G.

• 8 months later...

1)  Avon

2) ZZR (A24 and A64 “medium” compounds, 333 “soft” compound) and ZZS (A84 “hard” compound).  These are the “OEM” tires on the Caterham Seven 420R

3) 2004

4) +1.6 for the ZZR mediums and the ZZS, +1.0 for the ZZR soft

5) I have not found any published data directly comparing these with any of the listed tires, and specifically the Toyo Proxes R888R which is what I am currently running, just my lap times and multiple threads on the Lotus and Caterham forums confirming very close functional similarity with the Toyos. The ZZSs are 1.5 to 2 seconds slower.

6) The Avon ZZR (and ZZS) are the standard tire that come “stock” on Caterham’s Seven 420R. While it appears that this is an unusual platform in NASA’s time trial ranks, it is specifically mentioned in 6.5.3 of the 2023 Super Touring 1-4 & Super Unlimited rules. Tire selection for this car is VERY limited, and the R888Rs are basically the only 13” option on either list in 6.5.2. I believe it is reasonable to include the standard tires (Avons) for the Seven under 6.5.2 as they are DOT-approved and not slicks.
The logical question is “then why not just run the R888Rs?” The answer is that the 13” Toyos have different profiles front and rear to the Avons (higher front, lower rear), and this disrupts both the rake and gearing of the car that was set up based on the Avons.
So the ask is basically that I could compete using the “OEM” tire with an appropriate modifier.

• National Staff
On 9/20/2023 at 6:33 PM, DevilDoc777 said:

1)  Avon

2) ZZR (A24 and A64 “medium” compounds, 333 “soft” compound) and ZZS (A84 “hard” compound).  These are the “OEM” tires on the Caterham Seven 420R

3) 2004

4) +1.6 for the ZZR mediums and the ZZS, +1.0 for the ZZR soft

5) I have not found any published data directly comparing these with any of the listed tires, and specifically the Toyo Proxes R888R which is what I am currently running, just my lap times and multiple threads on the Lotus and Caterham forums confirming very close functional similarity with the Toyos. The ZZSs are 1.5 to 2 seconds slower.

6) The Avon ZZR (and ZZS) are the standard tire that come “stock” on Caterham’s Seven 420R. While it appears that this is an unusual platform in NASA’s time trial ranks, it is specifically mentioned in 6.5.3 of the 2023 Super Touring 1-4 & Super Unlimited rules. Tire selection for this car is VERY limited, and the R888Rs are basically the only 13” option on either list in 6.5.2. I believe it is reasonable to include the standard tires (Avons) for the Seven under 6.5.2 as they are DOT-approved and not slicks.
The logical question is “then why not just run the R888Rs?” The answer is that the 13” Toyos have different profiles front and rear to the Avons (higher front, lower rear), and this disrupts both the rake and gearing of the car that was set up based on the Avons.
So the ask is basically that I could compete using the “OEM” tire with an appropriate modifier.

We will take a look at it. 

Thx.