Looking to setup my subaru for HDPE

LearningCurves

I own a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs that I am currently trying to setup for my first HDPE event at Mid-Ohio in April...

my current setup is as follows: Stoptech slotted rotors with braided steel lines, Axxis Ultimate Pads, Kyb GR-2 struts with Group-N hardened strut tops and Sprint Springs, WRX rear sway bar... I need tires, I am thinking of running Toyo T1R as a track/street tire on stock 16" wheels, the stock sized tires are 205/55/16, I am thinking it might be a good idea to go to a 225/45/16...

I guess my question would be am I heading in the right direction for a decent trackable car? and what areas of my current setup am I going to be weak on the track? I know coilovers would be the best route to go on the car, but that is well out of my reach at the moment...

I am new to this so I am trying to figure out what would be my best route to take to get it ready...

I know Subarus fairly well, but you may want to contact Bill Knose at I-Speed USA. They've set up several RS cars before. http://www.i-speed.us/home/

I can tell you that the Ultimate is a good pad, but we only use it for the rear. Look into some Carbotech or Hawks. As far as street/track tires go, I'd say the best there is if you look at overall cost and grip is the Falken Azenis.

GR-2s are a bit weak; perhaps you'd like to step up one rung to AGXs. That would be a cheap solution until you're ready for coilovers. Or you could get the AGXs and do a Ground Control coilover kit with them. Not sure about whether they make them for your car, but most likely they do.

Hope that helps a little bit.

I tracked my street STi all last year with ATE fluid, Hawk HP+ and some Stoptech lines. Sounds like you have a pretty good setup now. If I were still tracking that car the next investment I would have made were an Autopower bar, seats/harnesses.

Then #1 performance modification would be camber plates and some RA-1's, after that. WRX's need alot of negative camber in my opinion.

Keep in mind at levels 1 + 2 this is extra stuff is nowhere necessary. All last year including my weekends with group 3 were run on stock stuff except brakes.

You're fine with 205 tires.

I tracked my '02 2.5RS and anything above that will make your car dull. It sounds silly, but if your grip level get to high, you wont have the speed and power to make things "interresting".

Get full race pads on the front and you will be set.

My setup was:

STi strut with Prodrive Spring

OEM 4 pots front brakes

205/55R16 Falken Azenis RT215 on 16x7 Momo mags (offset +35)

Lots of fun. But I needed 100hp more...

Misano_0045-vi.jpg

I'd say the best there is if you look at overall cost and grip is the Falken Azenis.

I'd recommend the Hankook ventus Rs-2 instead of the falken azenis. I've had a couple sets of both and on the track the hankook is almost as good as the falken but on the street the hankook is much better.

I'd say the best there is if you look at overall cost and grip is the Falken Azenis.

I'd recommend the Hankook ventus Rs-2 instead of the falken azenis. I've had a couple sets of both and on the track the hankook is almost as good as the falken but on the street the hankook is much better.

Sure, if you want to sacrifice track performance, that tire would be fine.

I have heard that the Hankook tires are getting better, I am still a big fan of the Toyo T1S and T1R, very proven track tire in my eyes... but I might be wrong, Falken tires are nice, but just never really have seen witnessed on how they perform on the track as compared to the street...

I completely understand on how the GR-2s are way too soft, I Feel for my first time on the track, that they will provide better support as compared to the 90k mile stock suspension that was on the car... I think my next setup will be either Tein Coilovers or Koni with Ground Control sleeves

It's an 01 right? so a GC8? I run my 93 which has been bumped up a bit in power to about 240ish (15psi ej20)

Suspension mods are simple, kyb gr2's, eibachs, wrx wagon front sway, wagon 17mm rear sway.

You will definately want tires and suspension as on the straights the RS is not going to win any drag races. Your setup sounds good, the only thing I would recommend is maybe a sport alignment. I got some rear camber bolts off ebay for $25 which allowed me to dial in the rear a little.

For handling upgrades do a search for wrx alignment on http://www.autospeed.com.

Most importantly, get out there and have fun. Be a little cautious though as having a 20mm rear bar on a GC8 body can make it snap oversteer depending on your other suspension mods and alignment. I had a friend total his because of it.

Chad

yeah it is a GC8 body style car, thanks for all of the help... it sounds like I should be alright for a little while, I am planning on getting camber bolts for the rear and going to solid endlinks to get rid of the plastic fantastic stockers, I also plan on going to new motor/tranny mounts/pitch bar to keep the engine from torqing so much,

yeah it is a GC8 body style car, thanks for all of the help... it sounds like I should be alright for a little while, I am planning on getting camber bolts for the rear and going to solid endlinks to get rid of the plastic fantastic stockers, I also plan on going to new motor/tranny mounts/pitch bar to keep the engine from torqing so much,

I have the stock tranny mount and sti motor mounts. It keeps the gear selector from moving 3 inches to the left while under power. Definately recommend it. Also suggest the steering rack bushings for better turn in.

That Autospeed series is a must read.

Chad

I also have an 00 RS and have tracked it many times in 99% stock form - just a rear sway and better pads/fluid.

DEFINITELY change your brake fluid to something good - ATE Superblue is recommended.

I have run both the Toyos and the Azenis on track and street and without doubt the Azeni is a very superior track tire. The Toyo is ok, but has a lot of squirm and a very soft sidewall which is apparent on Turn-In. Still, either one is a fine tire for HPDE and a VAST improvement over the stock RE92s!

Have fun!

i will look more into the Azenis when I get a chance, once I get a few more things, I should be alright to do a track event or two... thanks for all of the help...

• 2 months later...

Are we talking about the RT615, as I have not tried them? I did get feedback that Falkens come up to temp much slower than what I've been using, the Kumho MX, which I thought to be a very stable tire at higher temps. What's the consensus on track experiences?

Are we talking about the RT615, as I have not tried them? I did get feedback that Falkens come up to temp much slower than what I've been using, the Kumho MX, which I thought to be a very stable tire at higher temps. What's the consensus on track experiences?

Yes, the 615. I've tested both tires you speak of, and the Kumho isn't nearly as sticky. The 615 resists greasing out better than the 215 did. The Kumho is a decent tire, but I guarantee you that it doesn't have the same grip.

while we're on the subject here, I'll jump in with a few questions for you subaru guys...

I'm planning on attending my first HPDE this spring, either the Watkins Glen or Pocono will be my very first event. I'll be running my 2002 WRX.

My questions are suspension related... right now I'm running Tein SS coilovers with camber plates along with Hotchkis street sway bars and Hankook RS2 rubber on 17" rotas. I know it's mostly a matter of personal preference, but where do you guys like to run your rear sway bars? I leave mine on soft during the winter with snow tires and step up to the medium setting once I swap my summer rubber on. Do you think it would be wise to move up to the stiffest setting for the HPDE or just leave it alone on the medium setting until I get used to driving the car on a track? Also, anyone have problems breaking the OEM end-links? I'm considering getting a set of Perrin or Cobb links with spherical bearings. Any suggestions/opinions on aftermarket endlinks?

My last question is about alignment... I've got camber plates in front and eibach bolts in the rear. What do you guys like to run on the track? I'm taking my car for an alignment before the HPDEs and am planning on having separate street and track settings dialed in and marked on the plates and bolts so I can easily switch to more aggressive, tire saving settings at the track.

Thanks,

Andy

If you are familiar with the way the car handles, do not change it for your first time on track. A little bit of understeer is more comforting than a car that rotates unexpectedly. That being said, I run the rear bar at its stiffest position in my STi and love the way the car rotates.

The idea of adjusting camber at the track is great if you have worked out the range where camber adjustments do not adversely effect your alignment. The range for my car is -3.3 to -2.3 in the front. Depending on the track, I will usually only make adjustments to one side or the other. See you this spring.