NorCal Region........ Infineon Results

Gumball

Infineon turned out to be another great weekend for the TT Series. Even though it was "Infineon in February", the rain stayed away and we had a superb turnout. For our first event of the season, we had 33 competitors. (That’s a far cry from last year when we had only 4 drivers) I believe it’s safe to say that the TT Series is well on its way.

Once the track dried after the first session on Saturday morning, we had beautiful weather for the rest of the weekend and that cold Sonoma air made for some excellent lap times. With the exception of a bonehead maneuver or two, I personally witnessed some of the best driving yet. Cars were absolutely flying around the track and yet everyone continued to drive with safety, patience and consideration for their fellow drivers. This group rocks! Congratulations to Hugh Carter (TTG), Patrick Canlas (TTE) and Al Megenity (TTD) for all posting new track records.

Logbooks

If you are interested in obtaining a logbook and are still uncertain how to do so, please send me a note and I’ll get you pointed in the right direction. Logbooks sure take the hassle of taking your car to a tech station before every event.

New TT Shootout

Thanks to all of you that took the time to write a note in favor of the TT Shootout to our Regional Director, Jerry Kunzman. Wasn’t that a blast to pre-grid according to the fastest cars and having the 4th session all to ourselves? I have been informed that the event schedule can get very limited on extra time. Therefore, emails communicating your positive feedback are exactly what he needs to see before determining which group is going to get those extra 20-minutes on the track. Keep them coming! Better still; enlist more drivers into the TT Series. Last year we had between 20-30 drivers at each event. If we can bump that to 30-40 this season, Jerry would be hard pressed not to give us our own run group. How nice would that be?

20/16/8/3

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean? Just a reminder that this season we have 20 regional events in NorCal (10-weekends), 16 events count toward the season championship (your 4 lowest scores are thrown out), 8 is the minimum number of events you must attend to be eligible for the season championship. Finally, the top 3 finishers in each class will be awarded trophies at our yearend banquet.

5/1

How about these numbers? Well, 5 is the minimum number of regional events you must attend in order to qualify for Nationals at Mid-Ohio in September. Lastly, 1 is the number of National Champions that will be crowned in each class. Would that look good on your resume?

New TT Lunch BBQ

Our next event is at Thunderhill on March 11-12th. If you have never been to this track in the springtime you are missing out…………… plush green grass over rolling hills as far as the eye can see and no walls to contend with. Sign up soon as I’m sure this event will sellout early. Remember, you can always cancel a week before the event if need be. We will also be starting the TT BBQ lunch at this event. Everyone kicks in five bucks and we can grill our own hot dogs and burgers. Throw in some salad, chips and some sodas and it’s a party. It also gives us another chance to get to know one another and our crews. The week before the event, I’ll ask for a head count and some volunteers. Sound good?

Looking forward to seeing you all again next month.

Keep the shiny side up,

John

Edited by Guest

Great release, John! I wish everyone in HPDE would read it.

Although NASA takes great pains to avoid referring to TT as "racing," it was great being gridded as such. I had never been in a car on a true racing grid before: it was awesome.

As far as I'm concerned, I had a blast. Being at (at least "toward" ) the way back of the pack, I had probably three or four "clean" laps before the faster cars came around behind me, which must mean they also must have had several laps unobstructed by us unter-hp guys. And the three of us at the back of the grid in the Sunday shootout were matched up evenly enough that we were able to more than keep one another in sight the whole session. Although that meant we had "company" on the track, I never felt hindered. In fact, being that close to a car just a little bit faster than me added a HUGEly interesting element to the session ...

All in all, I think everyone did some mighty fine driving

Thank you to all the participants, especially Hugh and the black #8 BMW. Go Honda Civic !

I hope you get some feedback from the guys in the faster cars.

Please feel free to pass this along to Jerry.

Wow I'm jealous - I'm sitting here in Ohio with a couple inches of snow and 60 days or so until our first event.

Sounds like it went great, the TT BBQ also sounds like a good idea we might have to copy out here.

- Mark

• National Staff

To the NorCal drivers and John Anderson: Great Job. I've heard some excellent reports about your first event of the year. John is doing an awesome job as usual. I'm very pleased that you guys finally got a "taste" of a TT Shootout. Keep it up!