First HPDE April 1-2, a few questions

starshifter

Hello,

I registered for my 1st HPDE at Summit Point and have a few questions.

I have a DOT Snell M2000 open face helmet that I bought last year. Will I need to get another one for HPDE1?

Since I'll be with an instructor, do I need to rent my own transponder?

If I take my wife with me to watch. Will she be accepted at the event and should I bring a folding chair for her?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Guest

not shure on the helmet, but as far as a transponder, its not needed. and its acctually not reccomended for this level of driving. the only reason you would want to be timed is not for fast time but to see how you are progressing as you go along at the fastest you feel comfortable with. still not that good idea as it encourages you to go faster then you feel comfortable with. yes, your wife will be accepted, and yes, very good idea on the folding chair. and acctually as much comfort stuff as you can muster would be good, gets to be long between sessions. and when your not a driver, it gets even longer.

Looks like you need a new helmet. I'm in the same boat...

15.17.3 Helmet

All drivers are required to wear an approved helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell 95 (SA1995) or better*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable.

*Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 are acceptable.

Actually, I had also emailed Chris Cobetto of NASA Mid-Atlantic about this and he replied this afternoon that the M2000 helmet is OK for all HPDE levels. SA2000 is required for NASA racing. It might be that other regions have other requirements though. I also noticed that the Mid-Atlantic region webpages state that anything above M85 is fine for HPDE. Cool!

Edited by Guest

Sounds like you are all set!. I too recommend not transponder. If you aren't "timed" then you aren't racing, it's a "driver improvment clinic".

Not to cast a dark cloud, but if you have an on track incident, your insurance should cover you if aren't "timed".

Maybe you can set up your wife's folding chair where she can click a stop watch for you

I will be there working as part of the safety crew, hope we run into each other.....at the beer party, not on track...

• National Staff
Actually, I had also emailed Chris Cobetto of NASA Mid-Atlantic about this and he replied this afternoon that the M2000 helmet is OK for all HPDE levels. SA2000 is required for NASA racing. It might be that other regions have other requirements though. I also noticed that the Mid-Atlantic region webpages state that anything above M85 is fine for HPDE. Cool!

It's always best to check the CCR's for this type of information. Getting it second hand from other than a NASA Official can lead you astray. Chris is obviously correct about your helmet. The race rule for '06 is that an SA 95 helmet is still legal, but that an SA2000 helmet will be needed in '07. Also, it is not permitted for HPDE 1 and 2 students to have a transponder. Timing is not important at this level--learning to properly drive is. Sounds like the MA webpages need to be updated. Have a great time at your first event. I'll actually be there also, but without my racecar.

11.3 Required Safety Equipment - Driver

Disclaimer: Conformance to these regulations is the driver’s responsibility. These regulations do not guarantee or imply that injuries or death will not occur. If there are any questions or problems with these regulations it is the reader’s responsibility to contact the NASA office, or a NASA official immediately.

All participants should utilize equipment that meets or exceeds these minimum

requirements, while driving on track:

1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

2. The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style* stock seatbelts in very good condition, or a NASA approved restraint system, while operating a vehicle on the track. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. *Lap belts used without any shoulder restraints are not permitted.

3. Non-synthetic fabric clothing (i.e. cotton). At least footwear, a T-shirt and long pants must be worn. Individual track requirements may be different.

4. No open toed shoes, shorts, or tank tops may be worn in the car while on track.

5. Drivers should wear eye protection such as goggles, safety glasses or face shields preferably made of new impact resistant materials.

6. It is recommended that any corrective eyeglass material used be made of safety glass type that meets U.S. Government standards.

I am fairly certain that the classroom instructor would have no problem with your wife sitting in on the classroom sessions if she's so inclined. Should she ever decide to do a driving event, she'll be slightly ahead of the game, if not, she'll have a greater understanding of what you're doing out there. At lunch time you can take her out for touring laps.

Though there aren't many females who participate, you will see them in all areas, HPDE, racing, instructing. She will have no problems making friends with the boys and girls.

I'll be there, have fun and good luck!

Timing devices are highly frowned upon in NASA MA HPDE events.

Your wife is more than welcome and as mentioned bring plenty of comfort items. A good supply of water is recommended. You will be surprised how quickly you can dry out.

I'll be instructing at that event. If you see an '04 Black Z06 #111X say "Hi"

Hello,

I registered for my 1st HPDE at Summit Point and have a few questions.

I have a DOT Snell M2000 open face helmet that I bought last year. Will I need to get another one for HPDE1?

Since I'll be with an instructor, do I need to rent my own transponder?

If I take my wife with me to watch. Will she be accepted at the event and should I bring a folding chair for her?

Thank you in advance

I will chime in on this....First, for HPDE the helmet is OK.

Second, even if you have a transponder in the car(some race cars are used by HPDE students) the timing system is not run during those sessions so there is ZERO chance of you getting a lap time from the staff in an HPDE session.

third,

This event is on the Shenandoah Circuit.

Come on out to play....It is a fun course to drive.

Definitely bring chair, cooler , etc. for your wife. A book might not be a bad idea too and so is sunscreen. The paddock does not offer much shade. As Tonotbird suggested, I am sure Dan would not mind if she sat in on the classroom sessions and definitely plan on doing the touring laps at lunch time. It is a great way for a student to take laps at a slower pace to get familiar with the track.Touring laps are no charge for HPDE'rs

• National Staff
...and definitely plan on doing the touring laps at lunch time. It is a great way for a student to take laps at a slower pace to get familiar with the track.Touring laps are no charge for HPDE'rs

I second that. Driving the track at less than 60 mph is a great way of seeing things that can be missed at higher speeds. Whenever I'm at a track that I don't know, I will take advantage of free parade/touring laps if they are available.

...and definitely plan on doing the touring laps at lunch time. It is a great way for a student to take laps at a slower pace to get familiar with the track.Touring laps are no charge for HPDE'rs

I second that. Driving the track at less than 60 mph is a great way of seeing things that can be missed at higher speeds. Whenever I'm at a track that I don't know, I will take advantage of free parade/touring laps if they are available.

and walking the track is even better. Ask before you do it and yes, you can learn something even if it is dark out.

Water! as already mentioned.

Some sunscreen and a hat if its warm. If you can beg/borrow/steal a canopy even better.

Of course if its cold plenty of layers.

Also a good book/magazine or diversion. Spectators, even the most into it, can easily get bored. A bit of planning ahead can take that load off you.

I'd 2nd (3rd? 4th?) the notion that you absolutley don't want a timer. Slow laps learning a safe line and they dynamics of your vehicle are way more important than times.

You could probably go out, learn very little about saftey and optimum line and turn reasonable times... however to do it comfortably, safely, and ultimately get the most out of you and your machine, you need to follow your instructors advice. Speed will come with time, don't try and rush it.

Get a good night's rest the night before.

Have fun!

Scott

and walking the track is even better. Ask before you do it and yes, you can learn something even if it is dark out.

Sometimes it might be a *little* faster than 60

Shifter, I took HPDE 1 at teh Summit last September for the first time. Even though I have done many HPDE's at other tracks. I mainly go to Ohio/ Indiana region events, but like to travel to other regions for the tracks. The Mid Atlantic group is a great bunch and will treat you to the week end of your life.

Keep your wife involved buy her a stop watch to time you but you focus on learning the lines and driving. Before each session starts take your wife over to the bleachers behind the Carrosel. This is the best place for her to see you on the track the most.

Have a great time and be safe.

Shifter, I took HPDE 1 at teh Summit last September for the first time. Even though I have done many HPDE's at other tracks. I mainly go to Ohio/ Indiana region events, but like to travel to other regions for the tracks. The Mid Atlantic group is a great bunch and will treat you to the week end of your life.

Keep your wife involved buy her a stop watch to time you but you focus on learning the lines and driving. Before each session starts take your wife over to the bleachers behind the Carrosel. This is the best place for her to see you on the track the most.

Have a great time and be safe.

This spectator spot is true but not very intuitive to find. This event is on the Shenandoah Circuit and the spectating opportunities are a bit different.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers. Only one more week to go and I just realize it seems I have to bring my own car numbers. Is that correct? Since my car has a fiberglass body, I guess I won't be able to use magnetic numbers. Can I get adhesives that are easily removable and perhaps even re-usable?

Thanks for all the answers. Only one more week to go and I just realize it seems I have to bring my own car numbers. Is that correct? Since my car has a fiberglass body, I guess I won't be able to use magnetic numbers. Can I get adhesives that are easily removable and perhaps even re-usable?

Most use blue painters tape. Doesn't harm the finish...

• 2 months later...