Rear #'s for TT - ok to use license plate?

Markus

The TT rules for this year have the additional requirement for TT #'s to be posted on the rear of your car. Unfortunately, I have a Miata so space is kind of limited.

I thought about putting the #'s under my license plate so I could just pop off the plate at the track and be set. But since I daily drive the car in the summer and drive to the track as well, I'm worried I'll forget to put the plate back on when I'm getting gas at lunch. Or worse a beer at the end of the day.

So - what if I get personalized plates with my class and # on them? Does this meet the intent of the rules? Or is it stoopid?

56208812-M.jpg

Thanks for your input,

- Mark[/url]

• National Staff

Mark,

Check with Bill and John, and make sure they don't have a problem with it, but it looks fine to me--intent satisfied.

Per the rules, the rear #'s need to be 4" tall - I wasn't sure if I could get them that tall on the edge of the trunk lid? (Unfortunately I'm here in Ohio so the car is in storage for a couple more weeks).

- Mark

Per the rules, the rear #'s need to be 4" tall - I wasn't sure if I could get them that tall on the edge of the trunk lid? (Unfortunately I'm here in Ohio so the car is in storage for a couple more weeks).

- Mark

Ohio Storage = cover under snow

Cost per year for personal plates plus what if bump to another class or rule change?

Suggestion: TT run with light on. When we are in with HPDE4 group, driver will know that TT is coming up behind them.

Suggestion: TT run with light on. When we are in with HPDE4 group, driver will know that TT is coming up behind them.

Per the rules, your headlights are supposed to be taped over, though I know the rule isn't enforced often.

• National Staff

Per the rules, your headlights are supposed to be taped over, though I know the rule isn't enforced often.

From the 2006 CCR's:

11.4.14 Lights Covered

It is recommended, not required, that all exposed lights be covered with tape, except brake lights.

Most of the newer cars have plastic that covers the headlamps (halogen) anyway, and are not the danger that glass headlights propose. So, many organizations do not require covering the plastic. I still think it's a good idea to cover actual glass, though.

From the 2006 CCR's:

11.4.14 Lights Covered

It is recommended, not required, that all exposed lights be covered with tape, except brake lights.

D'oh! That's why I have to remove tape from headlights before I drive home from the track.

• National Staff

Nope. You're correct also. Looks like the difference is between racer's rules and HPDE/TT rules. 15.15 is for racers:

15.15 Lights

...All cars must have at least one functioning red taillight, red brake light, and adequate headlights when competing in night races. Except during night races, all lights must be covered with tape. Brake lights shall not be covered with tape or have their function altered or purposely hindered in any way....

But, translucent tape would satisfy the rule. And, like you said, I don't know any tech inspectors that require tape to cover the plastic housing. I have seen inspectors ask for older cars to have the glass headlights taped, though.