My turn for rule ?'s Greg

DriverGT5

So the car in question is a 1985 RX-7 with a 1989 Ford V8 (<226hp)

I was noticing in weight reduction that you had the option of taking points per pound instead of individual mods. When you take mods, my car gets something like +11 or so. However, it should still weigh MORE than a stock RX-7 given the engine swap. Does this mean I can take zero points as listed in the weight-per-pound rule? I suspect that will all the weight reduction I've done, it'll be close to stock weight, but I'm already starting off in TTE (the starting point of the Mustang). What do you think about this one?

Also, I have 1 or two lexan side windows on my car. They probably save 2 lbs total, but I'm installing them because I broke the glass out a while ago, and it's much easier than installing glass ones back in. I still have a glass rear hatch, so there isn't any significant savings there. If I do end up having to take points into account, should I even worry about the side windows? I was also thinking of installing a remote fuel neck in one down the road, which will probably cancle the weight savings.

Finally, under fuel modifications. I have installed a 255lph fuel pump because I installed a fuel cell and the stock pump wouldn't work. I am still using the stock regulator and stock injectors, but will have a Mega-squirt for fuel. I know for sure the fuel pump doesn't matter power wise, and I plan on adding in those points when I supercharge the car and increase the injector sizes, so can I just ignor those points until the pump actually makes a difference?

An update on the weight-per-pound rule as I read it. Considering I've cut out the whole back of the car and replaced the frame rails, added Miata IRS, and etc. I read that I am actually FORCED to use the weight-per-pound rule. Is this correct? I am guestimating a final weight in the 2300lbs range, and given the RX-7 GSL had a curb weight of 2345lbs I can only assume this means I get to bring my car back to near factory weight for free?

Aww nuts. I just saw the updated engine swap rules. I guess I'll be in TTB no matter what given the 2300lbs/225hp, regardless of my points. I guess you can answer these questions if you want to Greg, but it won't make a hill of beans in my case. I just got bumped WAY higher than I had previously wanted. Based on the way the rules are writen, can I assume those power/weight ratio's are absolute, or is that just where my base class get's moved and I have to add more points on top of that?

• National Staff

Robert, that's some funny stuff. Are you reading the rules as you are typing . Send me all of the info on the engine you have swapped (year, make, model, hp), and the body that you have, and I'll figure out your base class. Alternatively, since you've swapped the rear end also, and have a bunch of potential weight issues, it sounds like we should just class the car based on it's actual weight and hp, instead of using the standard points.

e-mail me with all of the particulars on the car (all mods) , and cc Jim and Chris, and we'll go over it. You have enough stuff swapped on the car to require a customized classification.