Stock front subframe modification to accommodate engine swap

Heavy85

Understand aftermarket subframes would be nearly impossible to manage from previous post.  But since engine swaps are allowed including allowing relocation of the firewall why can’t stock front subframes be modified to allow the swap without having to jump all the way to non-production 0.4 modifier?  Using all stock mounts with no changes to suspension points which are easy to check.   Example in my LS swapped RX8 the stock front subframe is modified as follows: 1) notched a corner for exhaust clearance 2) welded on engine mount provisions 3) moved the steering rack so it wasn’t in the crankshaft pulley.  Suspension wasn’t touched unless you consider steering rack part of the suspension but there was only negative performance impact due to steering geometry change in this case.  I’m trying to think of a case where someone could torture such a rule into a performance advantage?

Relevant to TT3 and higher classes   

Thanks for the consideration. 

Cameron Lane - Az region

Edited by Heavy85

• National Staff
On 4/4/2022 at 10:34 PM, Heavy85 said:

Understand aftermarket subframes would be nearly impossible to manage from previous post.  But since engine swaps are allowed including allowing relocation of the firewall why can’t stock front subframes be modified to allow the swap without having to jump all the way to non-production 0.4 modifier?  Using all stock mounts with no changes to suspension points which are easy to check.   Example in my LS swapped RX8 the stock front subframe is modified as follows: 1) notched a corner for exhaust clearance 2) welded on engine mount provisions 3) moved the steering rack so it wasn’t in the crankshaft pulley.  Suspension wasn’t touched unless you consider steering rack part of the suspension but there was only negative performance impact due to steering geometry change in this case.  I’m trying to think of a case where someone could torture such a rule into a performance advantage?

Relevant to TT3 and higher classes   

Thanks for the consideration. 

Cameron Lane - Az region

Cameron, we are discussing this at National.

Thx.