Driving Suit

skrzastek

Does anyone running HPDE /NASA wear driving suits, I've noticed some people do in other organizations? I know they are not required, I was just wondering (my girlfriend got me one for valentines day)

For some reason people like to 'poke fun' if you will, of people wearing a suit during HPDE's. However, I'd say, if you have it, you'd be stupid not to wear it. Just like your seat belts. Just don't let the fact you have a suit on make you _think_ you are a race car driver .

• Members

I tend to agree with white_2kgt, wear it if you have it!

My only suggestion is that I know that mine get's pretty 'ripe' if I wear it all day, I tend to only put it on when going out on track.

But then again I get ribbed because mine was red when I bought it and after 15 yrs of racing it is so faded that it is a pretty shade of light orange now

I see lots of them at PCA and Ferrari club events. They are usually attached to high dollar exotic car owners.

I say there is nothing wrong with it, just don't be suprised if you hear snickers in the back ground when you walk by.

I work rescue and the snickers (and the $$) have prevented me from getting a fire suit and helmet. Stuipid isn't it?

Does anyone running HPDE /NASA wear driving suits, I've noticed some people do in other organizations? I know they are not required, I was just wondering (my girlfriend got me one for valentines day)

WEAR IT. I applaud your girlfriend for caring about your safety.

I hope you got shoes and gloves to go along with it.

I got the whole package two Xmases ago. I'll never go back to jeans and tennis shoes, regardless of what "they" say...

If you have it, wear it. turn it inside out and air it out between sessions, that will keep the ripeness down. Check with the mfg. but usually they get dry cleaned.

• National Staff
I tend to agree with white_2kgt, wear it if you have it!

My only suggestion is that I know that mine get's pretty 'ripe' if I wear it all day, I tend to only put it on when going out on track.

But then again I get ribbed because mine was red when I bought it and after 15 yrs of racing it is so faded that it is a pretty shade of light orange now

I bet it's pink and not orange

• National Staff

As long as your suit isn't pink (like Jim's probably is), I say wear it while you are on the track. Once you get into the higher HPDE levels, there will be more drivers wearing suits. They do get hot on warm days, but are great for cool days. If you are worried about getting teased for being smarter than the other guys and decreasing your chances of becoming a crispy critter, then don't wear it to the first meeting of the day, and take it off during the middle of the day for lunch, or after each run session. On hot days, I take it off after each session if I have time.

Wear the suit! Part of the deal of coming out to these events is "living the part" So live it to the fullest. I have worn one since my second weekend in HPDE. No one will kid you for wearing it. Whether you are driving a Civic in HPDE1 or a Formula Car in the race groups, we are all just fulfilling a fantasy. Live the fantasy to its fullest and don't let anyone take that away.

Have fun and good Luck,

Sean Douglass

#60 Spec Miata

Wear the suit! I have worn mine from day one. I have never been snickered at because of it.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wear it if you have it. I only have shoes and gloves right now. I wish I had a suit but I am shrinking fairly fast due to better life choices. No way would I want a 3X suit on a 1-2X frame next season.

If the event gets enough subscription, I'll be instructing in about ten days. I'll be wearing my suit, including gloves and shoes. Partly because I'll also be driving during the instructor sessions. Partly because I want to be protected in case one of my students gets a little too ... exhuberant.