Helmet Question

ghost

Hello guys, I have a Shoei motorcycle helmet that I bought this past year. On the back it says that its SNELL and DOT approved, but it doesn't mention which SNELL its ceritified with/for i.e: SNELL95 or 2000. Any ideas?

Ah neat, yes, it is a M2000! Thanks

Yea, neat, you need an SA,

Page 66 of the NASA CCR,

15.17.3 Helmet

All drivers are required to wear an approved helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell 95 (SA1995) or better*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable.

*Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 are acceptable.

The back of each helmet shall contain at least the driver’s name; and it is recommended

that it includes: date of birth, drug allergies, blood type, date of last tetanus, emergency

contact name and number, and any relevant medical history or conditions. Any driver

whose helmet sustained substantial impact with an object (including throwing it or

dropping it, onto the ground) is required to send their helmet to the Snell Foundation,

3628 Madison Ave, North Highland, CA 95660, (916) 331-5073 for testing and recertification

before the helmet may be used again in competition. Details of the incident

should be included. Proof of re-certification is the sole responsibility of the driver. Note:

SA2000 helmets will be required in 20062007.

Hmm, I need to download and read the CCR. Welp, at least that helmet with work with BMW CCA driver schools. They are accepting SA95/2000 and M95/2000.

What, they don't accept the new 2005's??

Just buy a SA2005, you can afford a BMW, you should be able to afford a decent helmet.

Ah neat, yes, it is a M2000! Thanks

Yea, neat, you need an SA,

Page 66 of the NASA CCR,

15.17.3 Helmet

All drivers are required to wear an approved helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell 95 (SA1995) or better*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable.

*Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 are acceptable.

The back of each helmet shall contain at least the driver’s name; and it is recommended

that it includes: date of birth, drug allergies, blood type, date of last tetanus, emergency

contact name and number, and any relevant medical history or conditions. Any driver

whose helmet sustained substantial impact with an object (including throwing it or

dropping it, onto the ground) is required to send their helmet to the Snell Foundation,

3628 Madison Ave, North Highland, CA 95660, (916) 331-5073 for testing and recertification

before the helmet may be used again in competition. Details of the incident

should be included. Proof of re-certification is the sole responsibility of the driver. Note:

SA2000 helmets will be required in 20062007.

He may be able to afford a BMW, but he doesn't NEED to buy a new helmet for HPDE.

11.3 2006.4 Edition page 41-42

Required Safety Equipment - Driver

Disclaimer: Conformance to these regulations is the driver’s responsibility. These

regulations do not guarantee or imply that injuries or death will not occur. If there are

any questions or problems with these regulations it is the reader’s responsibility to

contact the NASA office, or a NASA official immediately.

All participants should utilize equipment that meets or exceeds these minimum

requirements, while driving on track:

1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or

equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

2. The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style* stock seatbelts in very

good condition, or a NASA approved restraint system, while operating a vehicle

on the track. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. *Lap

belts used without any shoulder restraints are not permitted.

3. Non-synthetic fabric clothing (i.e. cotton). At least footwear, a T-shirt and long

pants must be worn. Individual track requirements may be different.

4. No open toed shoes, shorts, or tank tops may be worn in the car while on track.

5. Drivers should wear eye protection such as goggles, safety glasses or face

shields preferably made of new impact resistant materials.

6. It is recommended that any corrective eyeglass material used be made of safety

glass type that meets U.S. Government standards.

15.17.3 applies to racing not HPDE which I am guessing is what he is doing since it's in this forum.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to have an SA helmet as they are designed for this application.

They do for sure. I am sure they meant those as the base requirements.

Just buy a SA2005, you can afford a BMW, you should be able to afford a decent helmet.

To be honest with you, that doesn't make any sense. Being able to afford a BMW doesnt indicate anything about being rich of any sort. I am college student and I have worked hard to pay for my car. And a shoei RF1000 which retails for $500 is more than just a decent helmet. They are meant for high performance street motorcycles and being able to manage a crash in that should suffice crashes in cars on tracks.

Now that thats out of the way, yes b/c of regulations I may have to buy a cheap sa2005 helmet. Know of any places to buy them from? We have mostly motorcycle stores around here who don't carry SA* helmets.

He may be able to afford a BMW, but he doesn't NEED to buy a new helmet for HPDE.

11.3 2006.4 Edition page 41-42

Required Safety Equipment - Driver

Disclaimer: Conformance to these regulations is the driver’s responsibility. These

regulations do not guarantee or imply that injuries or death will not occur. If there are

any questions or problems with these regulations it is the reader’s responsibility to

contact the NASA office, or a NASA official immediately.

All participants should utilize equipment that meets or exceeds these minimum

requirements, while driving on track:

1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or

equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

2. The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style* stock seatbelts in very

good condition, or a NASA approved restraint system, while operating a vehicle

on the track. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. *Lap

belts used without any shoulder restraints are not permitted.

3. Non-synthetic fabric clothing (i.e. cotton). At least footwear, a T-shirt and long

pants must be worn. Individual track requirements may be different.

4. No open toed shoes, shorts, or tank tops may be worn in the car while on track.

5. Drivers should wear eye protection such as goggles, safety glasses or face

shields preferably made of new impact resistant materials.

6. It is recommended that any corrective eyeglass material used be made of safety

glass type that meets U.S. Government standards.

15.17.3 applies to racing not HPDE which I am guessing is what he is doing since it's in this forum.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to have an SA helmet as they are designed for this application.

Hey, thanks for the clarification... I really didnt want to spend more money on helmets at this point b/c I just bought a quite expensive kind for my motorcycle...I am all up for safety, but unnecessary spending is somthing I hate

They do for sure. I am sure they meant those as the base requirements.

To be honest with you, that doesn't make any sense. Being able to afford a BMW doesnt indicate anything about being rich of any sort. I am college student and I have worked hard to pay for my car. And a shoei RF1000 which retails for $500 is more than just a decent helmet. They are meant for high performance street motorcycles and being able to manage a crash in that should suffice crashes in cars on tracks.

Now that thats out of the way, yes b/c of regulations I may have to buy a cheap sa2005 helmet. Know of any places to buy them from? We have mostly motorcycle stores around here who don't carry SA* helmets.

SA helmet sare safer than M when used in cars. There isn't much difference in a 'cheap' SA vs an 'expensive' SA other than brand name or paint that is on it. Some have attachments for HANS and such that you will pay extra for. As long as it passes SA requirements it is safe and 'up to' SA standards. The SA's have a fireproof lining and are more suited for use inside a car vs outside like on a bike. I'm not sure why they allow M's for HPDE but not for racing, doesn't seem to make sense. You, of course, can do what you want within the rules, but I'd suggest getting an SA for track days and keep your $500 M for the bike. Just about any online performance store can sell you an SA helmet and help you with sizing.

SA helmet sare safer than M when used in cars. There isn't much difference in a 'cheap' SA vs an 'expensive' SA other than brand name or paint that is on it. Some have attachments for HANS and such that you will pay extra for. As long as it passes SA requirements it is safe and 'up to' SA standards. The SA's have a fireproof lining and are more suited for use inside a car vs outside like on a bike. I'm not sure why they allow M's for HPDE but not for racing, doesn't seem to make sense. You, of course, can do what you want within the rules, but I'd suggest getting an SA for track days and keep your $500 M for the bike. Just about any online performance store can sell you an SA helmet and help you with sizing.

Ah, so its the fireproofing that makes the difference (well at least part of it). I will def. invest in a SA helmet for the future, but will have to make do with my current one for the next couple of track events. Thanks for the info!

Did some research

From a web site that sells helmets

Snell SA2000 - M2000. Our customers have asked what the difference is between a Snell SA2000 and M2000 certification for a helmet. All Snell tests for these specifications include multiple impact tests at -20 degrees, 78 degrees (dry and wet) and 120 degrees. The Snell M2000 specification is the base for the specs. The SA2000 - used primarily for auto racing - adds not only the thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap and interior. The Snell SA2000 helmet also meets an additional rollbar impact test.

Here are the Snell standards

SA2000 Standards

M2000 Standards

From what I see the SA helmets have to pass a "roll bar" test, have a fire proof liner and other small things. IMHO an M helmet is fine in a vehicle without a roll bar.

Question, what's the use in having a nomex liner if you aren't wearing a nomex suit???

• 1 month later...
Question, what's the use in having a nomex liner if you aren't wearing a nomex suit???

so that your head doesn't catch fire even though the rest of you is burning up?