Which books to read??

Gairloch

I was digging through amazon.com looking for Fred Puhn's "How To Make Your Car Handle" and found a bunch of stuff on car setup and on racing techniques. It was occuring to me that with such a cornucopia of source material that a percentage of it is likely really good and a percentage of it is likely really crap.

What do you guys see as being the Must Read books for someone getting into autocrossing, HPDE and road racing? What books do you think should be avoided and why?

You HAVE to read "Going Faster" by Lopez - it's the Skip Barber bible and covers everything you need. For more driving techniques check out Ross Bentley's series - Speed Secrets (Inner Speed Secrets, More Inner Speed Secrets ...)

That'll get you going ..

I should maybe also mention that I'm looking to get this information for more than just myself. I'm trying to complile a list of excellent materials that can be handed to someone of any skill level interested in learning more.

Here's a pretty decent list,

http://www.corner-carvers.com/wiki/index.php?Library%20of%20books

In addition to driving books also pickup some books on how to tune a car, they got into a bunch of detail on how to modify certain aspects of the suspension and can give some background to the terms used in the driving books. Even if the car you are reading about isn't the one you normally drive, understeer is still understeer.

• 1 month later...
You HAVE to read "Going Faster" by Lopez - it's the Skip Barber bible and covers everything you need. For more driving techniques check out Ross Bentley's series - Speed Secrets (Inner Speed Secrets, More Inner Speed Secrets ...)

That'll get you going ..

yeah. those books alone will take you a long, long way.