Carbotech Brake Pad Group Buy

erioshi

Hi there! The snow is finally melting in the midwest and Gairloch (Jeff Roetzel) and I (Mike Prow) are getting ready for the summer track season.

As part of summer cost-cutting, I usually try to organize a group buy or two, and since we are both planning on using Carbotech pads this was a logical choice. After a bit of time on the phone, Carbotech authorized us to publish this group buy.

For those looking for a higher performance brake pad the Carbotech line is a fantastic option. Experience with the XP-8 has shown it to be extremely tolerant of repeated hard braking, extremely durable and with some anti-squeal goo from NAPA, reasonably quiet. I have been running them on my Evo for the last two years. The XP-8 pads have turned the red powdercoat purple on my front Brembo's with heat and I have had the pads literally smoking when I have come off the track - all without fade.

The Pads: (From http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm)

Carbotech Bobcat (1521) :

Carbotech Bobcat (1521) is the much anticipated replacement for our heralded Super Street F. Like our Panther line of compounds, Bobcat is a ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non reactive dust. Bobcat offers outstanding performance when cold, low dusting, and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Friction coefficient is ~.45 over its operating range of ambient temp to 900F. Bobcat is suitable for all street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo national championships. Ideal pad for all SCCA Street Touring classes using street tires. Bobcat is not recommended for on-track driving schools or club racing.

CARBOTECH PANTHER PLUS (1106):

A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (150F to 1250F). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial "bite", high coefficient of friction (0.54-0.56), and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Panther Plus offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, Panther Plus is an excellent choice for beginner-novice lapping day and high performance driver's schools on street driven cars using street or R-compound tires, eliminating the need to change brake pads at the track. Panther Plus has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite and modulation. In addition, Panther Plus has seen great success as a race-only pad on lighter improved touring and vintage race cars (ITC, etc). Not recommended as a daily-driving street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

CARBOTECH PANTHER XP8 (1108):

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (250F to 1350F). Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction (0.58-0.60), excellent modulation and release characteristics, extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with non-corrosive dust. Excellent for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, Spec-RX7, etc race cars. Perfect for intermediate - advanced track/HPDE use with any tire, but still can be easily driven to and from the track. Not recommended as a daily-driving street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

CARBOTECH PANTHER XP9 (1109):

Another iteration of our successful Panther compound series, 1109 offers even higher initial bite, higher friction coefficient (.6+), and higher fade resistance (1400+F) than 1108 compound, yet still maintains the rotor friendliness and streetability similar to all our Panther compounds. Limited availability. Call to verify if XP9 is available for your car. Not recommended as a daily-driving street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

CARBOTECH PANTHER XP10 (1110):

For 2004, Carbotech unleashed Panther XP10 (compound 1110), and it was an instant success, gathering multiple regional, divisional, and even national SCCA road racing championships. This is a very high initial bite friction material, with a friction coefficient well above .6. Fade resistance is in excess of 1600F. Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended only for cars in excess of 2400lbs using R-compound race tires or slicks (SCCA SCC, SSB, ITS, Spec-Miata etc.) XP10 is also ideal for advanced/instructor level HPDE drivers. Compound 1110 still maintains the excellent modulation, rotor friendliness, and non corrosive dust that has made all Carbotech 1100-series friction compounds so successful! Not recommended as a daily-driving street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

CARBOTECH PANTHER XP11 (1111):

The latest iteration of the highly successful Panther 1100 series of compounds with even higher initial bite, torque and fade resistance than compound 1110!!! This was the favored compound of 2005 for SCCA T1 and T2 national drivers. Recommended only for cars weighing more than 2900lbs using R-compound tires or racing slicks. (SCCA T1, T2, A-Sedan, GT1, Trans-Am, NASCAR, etc) Not recommended as a daily-driving street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise

The Prices:

All of the above compounds are available in this group buy. The discount is 15% off of 2 sets (1 front,1 rear) or 10% off of 1 set. Shipping is $5 per set.

For example:

MkII MR2 NA XP-8

F: $131 - (15%)$19.65 = $111.35

R: $165 - (15%)$24.75 = $140.25

Shipping = $10

Total = $261.60 Instead of the list $296 + $shipping

MkII MR2 Turbo XP-8

F: $168 - (15%)$25.20 = $142.80

R: $165 - (15%)$24.75 = $140.25

Shipping = $10

Total = $293.05 Instead of the list $333 + $shipping

You can find a complete list of all the vehicles that Carbotech brake pads are available for and the list prices here: http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide-pads.htm

The Process:

If you would like in on the group buy or have any questions please email erioshi ([email protected]) or Gairloch ([email protected]) with:

1. Year, make and model of your vehicle

2. Which compound you would like

3. How many sets and whether front or rear

4. An email address we can send a Paypal request for payment to - this gives you a record of who asked for your money and why.

We will respond with a total price and payment information.

We need a total of 20 sets to get the discount we negotiated so make sure to tell others about this fantastic deal!

This group buy is being offered across several different car boards so getting to 20 sets should be no problem. If you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks!

The list so far:

1) erioshi - 2 sets (1 front / 1 rear) - Paid

2) Gairloch - 2 sets (1 front / 1 rear) - Paid

3) ruf-Jason - 1 Set (front) - Paid

4) Chad - 2 sets (1 front / 1 rear) - Pending

5) EVOQUICK - 2 sets - Pending

Edited by Guest

Is this for ANY car or just a specific one? I'd like to try the XP11's

Any car at all. Also the "2 sets of pads" discount works for any two sets of pads. Two fronts, two rears, fronts & rears, different cars, etc. The two limitations are brake pads only (no shoes) and only Carbotech pads, not other brands that Carbotech may also resell.

Let us know what you would like!

Any car at all. Also the "2 sets of pads" discount works for any two sets of pads. Two fronts, two rears, fronts & rears, different cars, etc. The two limitations are brake pads only (no shoes) and only Carbotech pads, not other brands that Carbotech may also resell.

ok, I just bought pads but I'll always need more, I'll let you know. IIRC my BMW discount is like 10% though

ok, I just bought pads but I'll always need more, I'll let you know. IIRC my BMW discount is like 10% though

Cool, what did you get?

Just so you know; we're running this group buy until the 21st of March. If we get a pretty good response to it we will try and extend it.

Cool, what did you get?

Just so you know; we're running this group buy until the 21st of March. If we get a pretty good response to it we will try and extend it.

Same thing I always run, XP10's I've been wanting to try the 11's though, I have a fat pig that I race .

• 2 weeks later...

We are up to 14 sets of pads which is a little short of our goal of 20. Because of this we've extended the deadline to Friday March 31st. If you're interested please feel free to email either of us with any questions or concerns!

We are up to 14 sets of pads which is a little short of our goal of 20. Because of this we've extended the deadline to Friday March 31st. If you're interested please feel free to email either of us with any questions or concerns!

Just to clarify - While we are short of the twenty sets of pads we had hoped for, we are now at 16 sets (thanks Chris!) and the group buy will be going forward with the originally announced pricing.

We will be sending out the Paypal requests shortly and hope to have everything wrapped up and ready to go by the 31st.

Thanks again for all your support!

Paypal requests have been sent out to the people we have info for - if you are on the list and have not been invoiced please contact me. If you have questions also please contact me.

The group buy will be closing March 31st.

Pads should start showing up 7-10 days after the last payment is made. Carbotech has been really responsive in the past and we've got our system set up pretty well.

EDIT: I should add that this delivery estimate is supposition. We'll be able to tell you more definetly when we get the order in.

And the group buy is closed!

I would like to thank everyone for their participation and support. The final count was 22 sets of brake pads. I expect to have the info submitted to Carbotech by Tuesday - there are only a couple of people on whom I am still waiting for payment.

I will provide estimated delivery information once I have more details from Carbotech.

• 3 weeks later...

The pads arrived from Carbotech on Thursday afternoon. I shipped them out by USPS priority mail on Friday morning before heading out to Mid-Ohio for the weekend.