HPDE Insurance

AThomas

I'm building a Camaro for CMC, but it isn't finished yet and I want to get a jump on my HPDE's. I was hoping to run the HPDE in Atlanta later this month in my WRX, but after several discussions with my auto insurance agent, I have found that my policy will not cover the car while it is on the track. Is there any insurance available for me and my car while it is no the track? If so, who should I contact and what kind of cost is associated with it?

http://www.americancollectorsins.com

The above sight offers HPDE insurance for untimed events. The vehicle is insured for its replacement value (ie cost of car and mods). There is a 20 percent deductable for each occurence( 20 percent of the insured amount). A car insured for $55,000 has an anual premium of about $900.00.

As far as I knew your insurance SHOULD cover it as the HPDE's are a driving class and not a race for points or money... my brother wrecked his 2000 MUstang at Buttonwillow couple years back at it was fully covered... my Insurance, Geico, will aslo cover... I woulddouble check your insurance and make sure they know/understand that HPDE's are a school and not a race...

Some policies cover the car as long as its not in a race, but mine specifically excludes any driving on a race course. My agent said that his daughter took her Mustang on a parade lap at Talladega and even though they were running at low speed, they still wouldn't cover it.

It's probably a good thing. This just gives me more motivation to finish the Camaro.

The insurance company I used to have (Allstate) changed their exclusion wording from "...while participating in any time/speed competition" to add "...or at any facility designed for such competition". My current company still has the old language, which means they would have to cover me (if I had collision on my track car or used my commuter while instructing/at a clinic). Note that even the old, common language would still exclude anyone in a run group that included Time Trial competitors, since it could be argued that you are "participating" in the competitive event, even though you may not be competing. Same as driving the pace car in a race group, or electing to "fun run" a race due to non-class compliant equipment.

....It's probably a good thing. This just gives me more motivation to finish the Camaro.

Thats where I'm at... I've HPDE'd my '03 Focus once already and am planning to do so at Sears/Infenion again in April if it's not sold by then and I have a '83 Camaro I'm building for the CMC class.... I'm not running my Focus in HPDE group 3 as it's still completely stock... I'm waiting to run the Camaro in group 3