Only 1 week to Road Atlanta

Red Tornado

• 2 weeks later...

Was this the "time attack" event where the GSC Supra kicked ass?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a wise ass if you were in that, I'm just interested in what "non Supra" car people thought of their performance.

Oh he kicked some serious butt. Awesome driver in an awesome car. It was fun watching him cook around.

Great group of guys also so hopefully they will be at some more events.

The tough debate though that came up is just if TTU is classed correctly and can be monitored easily. Boost on any turbo car can be adjusted easily enough so it's challenging to check and then dyno, etc..

TTU was meant to be about equal to T1 track times and they blew away the track T1 record by about 4 seconds.

The first year though will just be a learning year in some ways and I think this class and TTR will just be tough to keep cars equally prepared like other classes.

I think that's just a reality of any first year rules. It's just tough classing a Z06 driver in TTR and the Supra in TTU and they are close in potential.

They beat me so I finished 3rd but I never mind losing to kick ass drivers.

It's nice to see drivers of that level come out and play with us in TT.

Thanks for your comments. I've watched his incar vids over and over not only enjoying, but seeing what I can learn. I wanna drive like that! And you're definitely right, Leh is an awesome driver ...one of the best around I'm sure. And as a Supra nut myself, I'm especially pleased to see him crankin' on a Supra

I thought of the point you are making regarding boost and how that could affect classing. E.g, dyno at 18psi and crank it up to 24psi for the race ...I don't think that is what happened here but it seems that would be tough to control.

From talking to the GSC team guys, they said they are very much looking forward to Roebling.

My brother who runs a SRT4 at the drags had a neat idea for turbo cars. Install a cheap boost gauge (like a tach) that reads max boost and it just stays there. Under hood straight off turbo from vaccum line.

Closed underhood you could then read peak boost and then dyno at same boost level for 650hp compliance.

Anyway, somthing for us to try and figure out before nationals

Seems like a good idea to me. Relatively painless and low cost and should work.

I hope all the guys involved get any misunderstandings cleared up. I hate seeing what seems like a damn good, fun, competitive event degrade to bickering, name calling, petty b.s., etc. Our love of this kind of motorsports deserves better.

Seems reasonable except for the fact that even at the same boost level atmospheric conditions really have an effect on a turbo car. For instance if it's more humid it can decrease power substantially.

Bottom line is that there are always ways around the rules if folks want to ruin the spirit of the competition. Hopefully this never becomes an issue.

well if someone made a boost gauge that had a peak hold function that was that simple to install it would be great. the peak hold function boost gauges are all electronic which means that you would have to wire them in to setup and run a pressure sensor along with the gauge. kinda a PIA if you ask me. I will just offer the logs if some one questions us. that is the easiest way for us. other thing is they cost about $200 or so.

Quick

there are very few guages other than a stand alone that will read absolute pressure. but you are correct the same boost level at roebling is going to differ from Road A to Mid Ohio.

Greg

Yep -- And creep is an issue as well. It would be a shame to have someone penalized with a DQ due to bad boost control when in reality it is just a crappy wastegate.

Might mean in 2007 a TTU Turbo and TTU NA an you don't even bother with a hp limit in turbo. To hard to police.

That seems a shame -- the Z06 is such an awesome competitor. plus that turns a "TTU turbo" category into a money category.

Just install a pop-off valve on all turbo cars -- then they can never run more than the set parameter boost level.

But anyway...