TT License effort

RedRicer

Hi all,

I have a few questions for the experienced group here. I am new to racing (6 total days on track last year with NASA) and am trying to figure out my "long term" plan. I am leaning toward getting a Time Trial license and drive my 03 G35 at as many events as I can next year. I want to be able to drive my car as much as possible so it will remain street legal for daily driving and run in TTD.

1. How many track days should I expect to go through before I should expect to be capable of getting a TT license. I understand this is an individual skill thing but at this point I have proceeded to the top of HPDE2 skill and would have been signed off for HPDE3 if I hadn't of put 4 wheels off at Beaver Run during the weekend.

2. How much "contact" with cars and objects should I expect?

3. How hard is most typical "contact"?

I understand all of this is subjective but I want some expert opinions here.

1. How long did it take you to progress to a TT/Competition license from HPDE1 or the equivalent? # of track days/events/schools? What did it take you to get your license?

2. How much contact did you have in last years HPDE4/Time Trial run groups?

3. How much conact have you experienced over your Time Trial/HPDE 4 experience

I re-read my initial post and figured these might get some responses that I am looking for. Sorry for the double post.

It is a subjective thing about how much experience you need brfore you are ready for time trials. I would think at a minimum that you would need to have been signed off for solo at every track that your region runs. I have been running solo for a couple of years before I got into time trials but it also wasn't offered like it is now.

There is no contact allowed in time trials period. If there is a person who is overly aggressive we will ask them to leave. Being in a racing environment some contact may occur and those will be dealt with on a case by case basis but in general there shouldn't be any contact. Hope this helps.

• National Staff
1. How long did it take you to progress to a TT/Competition license from HPDE1 or the equivalent? # of track days/events/schools? What did it take you to get your license?

2. How much contact did you have in last years HPDE4/Time Trial run groups?

3. How much conact have you experienced over your Time Trial/HPDE 4 experience

1 ) I would say that a reasonable estimate is 18-20 track days to move from HPDE 1 to HPDE 4/TT. This may vary significantly depending on the driver. Some drivers will never be skilled enough to participate in TT or race. Others with previous experience (kart racing, autocross, motorcycle racing, drifting, off-road driving, etc) may progress much faster, especially if they have "natural talent" for driving.

2) We had one minor incident of car-car contact in SoCal last year when a racer visiting from another region was driving too closely behind a TT car when the TT driver downshifted from 4th and got 1st instead and the car spun. The racer's car had no visible damage, and the TT car had a dented front fender.

3) I have never had any contact in TT/HPDE 4. Almost 100% of incidents that end up in car damage will be single vehicle incidents, ultimately due to either a mechanical breakdown leading to a spin or four-wheels off situation, or driver error. These incidents occur no more frequently in TT than in other HPDE levels.

Hi again,

I appreciate the input, I realize this is very subjective to the individual. I am looking for a baramotor (sp??) to guage myself against and to set some expectations.

For now I plan to spend 5 or so days on track early this year and see how I feel for the second half of the season and to try and solo later this year at putnam and mid ohio.

Do any week long drivers schools or program designed to help novices get more training toward a license exist? Bondurant? Others? Recommendations?

• National Staff

Yes, there are multiple driving schools that offer 2-3 day race courses that would help you to improve more rapidly. They tend to cost between $2400-$3600, though. That amount of money will go a long way in getting more NASA track time with free instruction. You can get more track time and progress faster by participating in more than one region's events.