Jump to content

Hot Pits


Anderson Motorsports
 Share

Recommended Posts

The rules state:

"No work, adjustments or tire checks may be done in the hot pits...once a vehicle enters the hot pits, it must exit the track and go directly to Impound."

Is this rule in place to prevent cars for entering the track in traffic, or entering the track and creating traffic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff
2 hours ago, Anderson Motorsports said:

The rules state:

"No work, adjustments or tire checks may be done in the hot pits...once a vehicle enters the hot pits, it must exit the track and go directly to Impound."

Is this rule in place to prevent cars for entering the track in traffic, or entering the track and creating traffic?

The rule is primarily to prevent cars from having modifications during the session (like adding ballast, changing power configurations, lowering tire pressure before potential Dyno testing).  The secondary reason would be to prevent cars from entering the track and creating traffic, ruining other competitors hot laps, etc.  It would negate the entire reason for gridding by lap time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Greg G. said:

The rule is primarily to prevent cars from having modifications during the session (like adding ballast, changing power configurations, lowering tire pressure before potential Dyno testing).  The secondary reason would be to prevent cars from entering the track and creating traffic, ruining other competitors hot laps, etc.  It would negate the entire reason for gridding by lap time.

Thanks Greg, I appreciate your input. Would National be willing to look at allowing tire pressure changes, especially on TTU cars? I completely agree, nothing should be added to the car to either make it heavier or go faster. But in a 15-20 minute session, I would find it super beneficial to be able to bleed a little air out of the tires after one or two hot laps, in hopes of getting one more run at it and not be dancing around the track.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand coming back on track could create some issues with lap traffic, but even if the rule was to say no track re-entrance until 5 minutes left in the session, then the hot pit cars could change pressures and could take 1 final stab at the session. It would prevent some of the traffic issues as half the cars have already left the track and come into pits with 5 minutes to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, jrubin80 said:

I understand coming back on track could create some issues with lap traffic, but even if the rule was to say no track re-entrance until 5 minutes left in the session, then the hot pit cars could change pressures and could take 1 final stab at the session. It would prevent some of the traffic issues as half the cars have already left the track and come into pits with 5 minutes to go.

I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff

We won't be making these changes for a few reasons. 

1) We don't make changes for the benefit of the few, that can harm the many.  In this case, maybe a benefit to TTU cars, but undoubtedly at some point, a nuisance to others on the track when someone comes on track in the middle of the session, regardless of how fast they are (whether they get in the way of the first turn, or have to pass slowing another car, etc.)  We have plenty of experience with cars coming onto track late, or getting sent to black flag and allowed back on track, where they screw up someones hot lap.

2) We don't have the staff/officials to watch hot pits every session and determine that only a TTU car is there.  There are tracks like COTA  and others with very long hot pits where this is just about impossible without someone specifically tasked with this.  We have had Championships where this was logistically impossible, so for regional events, even worse.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Greg G. said:

We won't be making these changes for a few reasons. 

1) We don't make changes for the benefit of the few, that can harm the many.  In this case, maybe a benefit to TTU cars, but undoubtedly at some point, a nuisance to others on the track when someone comes on track in the middle of the session, regardless of how fast they are (whether they get in the way of the first turn, or have to pass slowing another car, etc.)  We have plenty of experience with cars coming onto track late, or getting sent to black flag and allowed back on track, where they screw up someones hot lap.

2) We don't have the staff/officials to watch hot pits every session and determine that only a TTU car is there.  There are tracks like COTA  and others with very long hot pits where this is just about impossible without someone specifically tasked with this.  We have had Championships where this was logistically impossible, so for regional events, even worse.

 

Greg I appreciate you taking the time to run through this with us and provide clarification as to the justification of the current rules.

Just because I don't agree, doesn't mean I don't appreciate your time in going over this.

I've ran with Gridlife a few times, and they allow a hot pit and I haven't heard anyone complain about it. I'd venture to guess the TTU-TT2 cars would be the ones taking advantage of this, and on lap 6 or 7 of the session, anyone still on track probably isn't going for their ringer.

Up until this current season, in the Central Region, we had hot pits...not for adjustments, but in order to gain spacing. I wish we had enough cars in order to justify 2 TT sessions. Oftentimes I'm on track with cars turning laps 25-30 seconds slower than I am so after a warm up lap and two fliers, I'm already passing cars.

Have a great off season, looking forward to the 2023 season!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...