2023 Super Touring Rules are posted

Greg G.

Hi Greg,

I think 6.4.2 sections 2 and 3a/b might need another look. Section 3a does not specify the maximum extension of the 4" splitter, but that measurement is defined ("no further than the driver compartment front bulkhead/firewall") in 3b when describing the 6" splitter that takes the mod factor. Is it right to assume that the non-mod-factor 4" splitter may extend to the firewall as well?

As for section 2, it seems odd to specify as flat undertray/belly pan that can only extend to the centerline of the front axle, when that area and more can be covered by a splitter? One could build a splitter that doesn't actually extend past the airdam, but does extend to the firewall. Let me know if I'm reading this correctly, maybe the last sentence of section 2 can be removed or specified more clearly in the splitter section.

I believe that the previous section in Appendix A regarding the Ford Mustang and BMW E36/E46 subframe connector mod factor should be shown as explicitly removed, though I understand that being that specific may be unnecessary.

Thanks!

• National Staff
21 minutes ago, mslevin said:

Hi Greg,

I think 6.4.2 sections 2 and 3a/b might need another look. Section 3a does not specify the maximum extension of the 4" splitter, but that measurement is defined ("no further than the driver compartment front bulkhead/firewall") in 3b when describing the 6" splitter that takes the mod factor. Is it right to assume that the non-mod-factor 4" splitter may extend to the firewall as well?

As for section 2, it seems odd to specify as flat undertray/belly pan that can only extend to the centerline of the front axle, when that area and more can be covered by a splitter? One could build a splitter that doesn't actually extend past the airdam, but does extend to the firewall. Let me know if I'm reading this correctly, maybe the last sentence of section 2 can be removed or specified more clearly in the splitter section.

I believe that the previous section in Appendix A regarding the Ford Mustang and BMW E36/E46 subframe connector mod factor should be shown as explicitly removed, though I understand that being that specific may be unnecessary.

Thanks!

2) Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the
front and side bodywork/fascia. Flat undertray/belly pan (0.750” (¾ inch) max. thickness)
forward of the centerline of the front axle, extending no lower than the intersection with the
vertical front air dam.
3a) Single flat, horizontal front splitter (0.750” (¾ inch) max. thickness) that protrudes no greater
than 4.0” from where it intersects with the fascia or air dam. Along the entire splitter, there must
be at least 1.0” of fascia or air dam material above/superior to where the splitter intersects the
fascia/air dam, including at any air intake region. (No Modification Factor assessed)

2 and 3a) are no-points mods, and go together if there is a splitter.  So, the splitter can only extend to the centerline of the front axle.  It can be a splitter or an undertray, which are basically the same thing for most if there is a splitter.

3b) allows the extension of the splitter/undertray to the bulkhead/fire wall, but with a Mod Factor.

The Mustang and BMW listing in the Appendix is just gone, because there is a rule now that makes it obsolete.

6f) Roll cage tubing may pass through the floor for purposes of chassis stiffening and/or to tie
into the sub-frame.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • National Staff
On 4/13/2023 at 4:53 PM, rsotak said:

So if you take the wide body fender modification, does that also include side skirts extensions?

No, there is no provision in ST4 for side skirt modifications.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 6:59 AM, Greg G. said:

No, there is no provision in ST4 for side skirt modifications.

So does this mean that fender vents behind the front wheels can't touch the side skirt portion at the bottom of the front fender.  I.e. a rear fender vent cant cut out the bottom of the fender?  Attached picture would be illegal, because the side skirt was modified as well?

Pin on Racecar Ideas

• National Staff

The fenders can be vented, but the side skirts should be left alone.