Points for staggered tread width??

Alfa Georgia

Clarification please. It's obvious that there are points assessed for tread width increase over OEM spec. But with the 350Z and other cars the front/rear tire sizes are staggered. So....if I increase the rear tread width by 61 mm (245 to 275) and the front tread width by 33 mm (225 to 245) what is the correct points assessment? (Sorry if this is a well worn topic, I searched for it but could not find.) Thanks for the help.

• National Staff
Clarification please. It's obvious that there are points assessed for tread width increase over OEM spec. But with the 350Z and other cars the front/rear tire sizes are staggered. So....if I increase the rear tread width by 61 mm (245 to 275) and the front tread width by 33 mm (225 to 245) what is the correct points assessment? (Sorry if this is a well worn topic, I searched for it but could not find.) Thanks for the help.

First, if you increase the rear tire size from 245 to 275, you are increasing the tire width by 30 mm, and if you increase the front from 225 to 245, you are increasing it by 20mm. So, I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from based on your examples. If you are trying to use the actual "tread width" published by a manufacturer, then you have misread the rules (and even then, it wouldn't be anywhere close to 61mm for 245 to 275).

But, the answer to your question is that you use the increase that is the largest to make the points assessment. So, in this case, the rear increased by 30mm and the front by 20mm, so you would take +1 for the assessment based on the rear tire size increase (>21 +1).