clutch release into gear when slowing

spazegun2213

Alright, so after reading a few threads here, I have learned a lot, like only bliping the throttle once and selecting the gear you need and NOT going though all the gears. I tryed it, and its a little strange at first, but i think it works just fine.

So my question is, when you are letting the clutch out (after you have the gear selected) I try to engage it smoothly, and not drop it. Is this right?

thanks!

If you match your revs correctly you can let it out as fast as you want. The goal being to have the flywheel turning as fast as the clutch will be turning for that speed in that gear.

You really want to be fairly quick about it, but be smooth! When you are threshold braking, you really don't want to do anything that upsets the car, as you are already using just about all available grip.

I've been doing it for about 3-4 years now, and I don't do it the same way everytime. depending on how well the blip goes, i adjust how fast i let out the clutch. Sometimes, I can just hear the rpms are right, and just dump the clutch, other times i let out slower for a slightly off blip. just practice on the street as much as you can (i do it all the time without even thinking about it now) and you'll just naturally develop it to instinct.

I've been doing it for about 3-4 years now, and I don't do it the same way everytime. depending on how well the blip goes, i adjust how fast i let out the clutch. Sometimes, I can just hear the rpms are right, and just dump the clutch, other times i let out slower for a slightly off blip. just practice on the street as much as you can (i do it all the time without even thinking about it now) and you'll just naturally develop it to instinct.
If your pedals are not *exactly* spaced right for heel/toe then you can get some pedal covers that may widen the throttle pedal. My wife's Civic has the brake too far away from the throttle and my foot( that is trained in the BMW) misses the pedal to blip....anyway I got some pedal covers and all is better now, but now I have them pretty close together and I have a hard time not hitting the throttle while braking...if I am wearing boots. Shoes do matter.

Matching revs is definitely the thing to do on downshifts. A google search on heel-toe shifting might turn up some nice descriptions or tutorials.

As far as pedal placement or separation, it is good to consider that under brake fade or failure if the brake pedal goes further than usual it is good to minimize the chance that you'll be hitting the throttle at the same time. Hitting full throttle at the same time as brake failure is a really bad thing and can happen if there is not adequate space between the pedals.

Alright, so after reading a few threads here, I have learned a lot, like only bliping the throttle once and selecting the gear you need and NOT going though all the gears. I tryed it, and its a little strange at first, but i think it works just fine.

So my question is, when you are letting the clutch out (after you have the gear selected) I try to engage it smoothly, and not drop it. Is this right?

thanks!

I'd suggest engaging the clutch smoothly otherwise, if the rev match wasn't perfect, you will reduce/loose traction. If the rev match was perfect, you haven't lost anything engaging the clutch smoothly.

It helps to minimize the impact of a mistake and most of us in HPDE will make mistakes.