Shenandoah event from this past weekend (April 1st, 2nd)

sscguy

Hey all, just wanted to throw out a big thumbsup to everyone that participated this weekend, it was a great time with no HPDE incidents that I heard of. Also a big thumbsup to my students, David and Justin, you guys did really well, showed a lot of improvement, and were great students. Keep it up, and see you all out there next time!

-Adam

Hey all, just wanted to throw out a big thumbsup to everyone that participated this weekend, it was a great time with no HPDE incidents that I heard of. Also a big thumbsup to my students, David and Justin, you guys did really well, showed a lot of improvement, and were great students. Keep it up, and see you all out there next time!

-Adam

If you had fun...pass the word. Lets try to repair the damage to the tracks reputation done by those who have never driven it.

After watching video and looking at 3 different versions of a track map from the illustrious internet, I was a bit skeptical about the Shenandoah Circuit. It looks extremely tight, with crowned racing surface, and a complex line, not to mention walls everywhere! I must have watched vids 10 times, and I was STILL LOST about the 'line'!! Even with a printed track map! Driving into the facility, you get a wonderful view from the bridge... of a purple M3 dropping into the Karussel - I definitely thought I was in over my head. I had elected to go Solo this time, so the pressure was on.

Even after riding that first instructor session, I was totally nervous about heading out there for my first run on this track, which happens to be VERY technical, alone. I've been soloed before, but usually after a session or three of coaching. Andre was excellent at giving me the fundamentals of the track, but even just riding with him, you can feel the car manipulation when he lifts to rotate, a little bit of trail brake here, a little power slide there... it all adds up. I rode with four different instructors over the weekend, 2 with miatas (regular, and Mazdaspeed), and 2 with vettes (C4 and Z06). The walls aren't an issue at all, as there seems to be plenty of runoff where you need it, and tire walls in the more sensative spots.

It took me two laps to get comfortable. Then I kept working on feeling out the RX-7 to see what it liked, and what it didn't. All told, each day I rode with 2 instructors, took touring laps, and drove all 3 sessions. That gave me an excellent reference for my driving, and the perspective of different lines through the Loop, and Corkscrew. It turns out that there are several lines through each, which explains why I couldn't find it from watching video - it all depends on the approach, car, and driver.

Also, I wanted to mention that the passing in HPDE 2 was awesome all weekend. There were a couple of drivers that weren't very quick to let you by on Saturday, but I made a comment Sunday morning in class to the effect of "On the whole, passing is excellent, but there are still a couple of cars that don't seems to want to let you go." Dan Unkefer, the instructor proceeded to lecture about patience, the Red Haze, pitting for room, etc. That was not the point of my comment - I was actually praising the group, and reminding the stragglers to check their mirrors. Many thanks to NASA, all the instructors I bugged, and group-mates who were very encouraging. I had 4 students in group 2 come over and tell me that they thought I drove exceptionally well - smooth and fast. How cool is that. I replied that I appreciated their quick point-bys and consistent lines that made passing easier.

I also convinced Stephanie to drive touring laps. She had never been on any track, and was a bit terrified. She liked it so much, she is now looking into signing up for HPDE 1.

The moral of the story is... Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit has to be one of the best tracks I've ever been driving on(I like VIR Full, too). I hope to broaden my experience with more tracks, but the technical nature of this track is soooo much fun that this event will be difficult to surpass.

Thanks again,

Pete

Sean, I have been doing just that since October actually. I think it's a fantastic track and that more people should experience it.

Pete, you were in the metallic grey FC RX7? You did seem to be doing very well from what I could see in my student's car and from the sidelines. Keep up the good work!

Pete, you were in the metallic grey FC RX7? You did seem to be doing very well from what I could see in my student's car and from the sidelines. Keep up the good work!

Yep, that was me! You call it work? I call it elation. I swear I was screaming in my helmet when I figured out the Karussel and Hook. Shenandoah is definitely a track that capitalizes on autocross experience - the instinctive car control just clicks on this track. Thanks for the compliment!

Yep, that was me! You call it work? I call it elation. I swear I was screaming in my helmet when I figured out the Karussel and Hook. Shenandoah is definitely a track that capitalizes on autocross experience - the instinctive car control just clicks on this track. Thanks for the compliment!

Great Adam, That is what we need to get some larger fields out to that event.