What make a track "Technical"?

kmickey

I've hear so many times that "this is a very technical track..."

What makes it "technical" vs non-technical?

Thanks in advance,

Mickey

A technical course is one where you have to work the car to get it through fast. There are either lots of turns, elevation changes, blind corners, multiple apex corners, track surface changes, or any other impediment to going straight and flooring it

Summit Point Shenandoah (hills, 12-16 turns based on configuration) is very technical when compared to Roebling Road (flat, 8-turn circuit), even though they are both approximately the same length.

A technical track requires very precise driving. On a technical track there are very few (if any) places to make up ground that you have lost.

Neat discussion! For my money, a technical track requires precise car placement, puts a premium on the 4 food groups, braking point (decel), turn-in, apex and track-out (accel) and cannot be overcome with brute power or massive traction (big R-rated meat). Both previous responses are right-on!

Out west, Buttonwillow is a more technical track and Willow Springs Raceway is a horsepower track. As you pick up the pace and go to HPDE3/4 or race, all tracks are technical and tenths will count. 10 tenths is a second - heh heh.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought Road Atlanta was technical until I drove Infineon a few weeks ago.

Infineon for me is technical because of the blind apexes and multiple lines that are fast. Road Atlanta isn't really technical as there really is only one fast line.