Are RE070's recomm for multi sessions, comp w RA1, Ecsta MX?

cnMax

I would appreciate any feedback on tracking stock Bstones ('05 STi), on wear, temp stability, wet, dry. They seem to initially feel very sticky, 140 treadwear seems to confirm. Any thoughts?

I used mine all last year. If you have relatively deep tread on them watch for overheating and chunking.

READ THIS:

THE CAR AS IN STOCK FORM REALLY NEEDS SOME NEGATIVE CAMBER.

You can get a little neg. camber with the factory bolts or even more with crash bolts. My tire temps saw 160 degrees outside edge with 140-145ish on the inside measured with a laser pyrometer last summer.

REO70's like the RA-1 get faster with age.

For track days, I plan on installing Ingalls cam bolts on the lower front strut mounting and rear upper strut mounting. That would give me appx 2.5 degs max front and 2 rear. Should this camber be enough w/o the complexity of camber plates?

tur8o, have you extensively compared the two? The RE070 and RA1 happen to be my first choices. I've only had exp with Kumho MX's and liked the dry and wet handling; they're stable at high temps w/o chunking, using slightly higher pressures. Yes, they do need to come up to temp for best handling, though.

On my STi I've only ran the re070's.

On my racecar I've only run RA-1's

totally different cars so I cant compare at all. I will say that ra-1's are better than reo70's if I had to choose one or the other based soley on performance.

In fact, when the current tires finally die on the sti (these are my second set of 070's) I may replace them with ra-1's full depth because i don't drive it every day anymore.

I tracked a set of bridgestones last year. When new and on the first weekend thhey seamed to do well. The next weekend they handled well the first day but started to chunk the second day. this made for a rough ride home. Since I was not using a designated set at the time.

My car was set with just 1.5 degree neg chamber in the front and 1 in the back. Saving the tires I had them shaved to 4/32". The next twoo weekends they handled great. They came up to temp quickly and did not seam to go away till the end of the session. But at this time it was July.

Sept. Oct. was a different story they had no grip and that was because they would not come up to temp. I played with the pressures and finally got 1 good run out of them and they had finally met temp.

The tires seam to last for ever. they still have life left in the tread but they have gotten hard and I would think maybe Auto cross only now. This year I'm switching to Toyo RA1. With a Car setup of Neg 3 in the front and 2.5 in the back. WE will see.