04 GCR and 2 year window net rule

SPiFF

Most likely for the same reason SCCA did. Namely, a study came out showing that the webbing fibers lost an enormous amount of their strength in certain conditions over time. I'm guessing both were pressed by either their insurance company or their legal department to make the change.

Folks-

Window nets must comply with SFI 27.1 which states that they are good for two years from their date of manufacture, similar to the specification for the belts in SFI 16.1. See sfifoundation.com for more information.

Now, to address the conspiracy theorists in the crowd, no we don't own a secret interest in window and harness companies and we aren't blindly following what SCCA is doing without carefully thinking this over. We are now a member organization of SFI (we actually pay THEM for this) and they showed us solid data that convinced us that following their recommendations on belt/net expiration and other matters was the way to go. We of course had to consider insurance and legal questions posed by potentially not following their advice, but in the end we are using the SFI standards for one reason-to make sure you are as safe as possible at NASA events. A set of new belts will set you back perhaps $100 or so and a net is even less. Hopefully you all will see this as a worthwhile investment that could pay the dividend of you coming home safe and sound to your loved ones after a bad shunt.

So, there it is. Any further questions are welcome.

-JWL

John Lindsey

NASA Chief Divisional Director

John.... You're kidding me, right? You mean you did this without the insurance companies pushing you? Did you look at the research?

This borders on junk science. The research was for continuous exposure including UV which did most of the damage to the nylon. But it assumes continuous exposure which is theoretically possible, but isn't practical. Even the most neglected cars don't come close to the situation described in the research.

This is really a case of alarmist research. Much like the rats who ate their body weight in saccharine to get cancer. You can certainly come up with examples that look bad, but if they don't reflect the real world it isn't useful. I guarantee that I can devise a test to show similar types of failures in helmets, tires, or other safety-related issues if you are willing to accept scenarios that people won't see in the real world.

The seat belt one is particularly laughable since there is a lot more danger from improperly installed seat belts than their is in fiber degragation.

• 1 month later...

It would be nice to be able to test the older/outdated belts to "recertify" them for continued use. I guess for the garage racer, there is a tight budget as I'm very well aware of.

It would be nice to be able to test the older/outdated belts to "recertify" them for continued use. I guess for the garage racer, there is a tight budget as I'm very well aware of.

I believe most companies will reweb your belts with new nylon. Same procedure you are supposed to follow if they are in an accident.

I believe most companies will reweb your belts with new nylon. Same procedure you are supposed to follow if they are in an accident.

I'm well aware of what happens with the belts after an accident, they stretch bigtime, but aren't the costs of reweb'ing the belts similiar to replacing them?