Communication at HPDE

COZOG

Is there any kind of on-track comm like a local FM radio freq you can tune into or FRS radios? Or is it just you and (maybe) the instructor?

Thanks.

Just listen to your instructor, keep your eyes up, watch the flags, give clear signals, and if you are going to brake at a weird time *and have time* tap the brakes 2-3 times to flash your brake lights to alert drivers behind you.

• 3 months later...
can anyone reccomend a cheapish soln. for student/instructor two-ways that will work in most closed face helmets?

What I've seen a lot of instructors use is motorcycle intercoms. You can find 'em as inexpensively as $50.

• 5 months later...

NADY PMC-2 or PMC 3 (has FM radio)

Be careful where the cords go into the earpiece and at the plug. The insulated wire can break internally when handled too rough. Also make sure to turn off the unit when plugging in or unplugging the headsets as there will be a piercing shreek in the other headset. There is also a better built set of headsets available.

Chatterbox makes a nice system that is better on wind noise, but it's a rechargeable battery and more expensive.

Chatterbox makes a nice system that is better on wind noise, but it's a rechargeable battery and more expensive.

Having used both, the Chatterbox is far superior to the Nady for this application and more than worth the extra cost. Students routinely yank their headset out of their helmets by the boom plus I still forget and jump out of the car while still connected.

As far as being rechargeable, that is a positive. The battery life is amazing. I've had mine for 4 years now. I instruct about 15 weekends a year, with most being 3 day events. The only time the battery has ever gone dead was after I left it on - for a month. I often forget to turn it off when exiting a car. Except for the initial charge and the time I left it on for a month, I only charge it for about 2 hours the night before an event and sometimes the same after I get home from a long weekend event. I have a cheap cigar lighter plug inverter for plugging in the charger at the track just in case, but I normally don't bother. I know the day will come when the battery begins to die but I feel I've already gotten my money's worth.

I'm a lifelong cheapskate but I'll drop the full at-the-track price for a replacement Chatterbox in a second if mine ever stops working. Now for a student buying a Nady to have for those rare occasions (in this part of the country) when his instructor doesn't have his own, maybe. If you instruct a lot it won't be long before you've spent more than the cost of the Chatterbox on Nady replacements.

I totally agree that the Chatterbox is definately the better quality system. Better built and better sound. I wish it was compatable with the Motocomm radio system I have wired into my helmet.

The reason I like batteries over rechargable is that if the batteries go down it's 30 seconds to replace them vs the time to recharge the Chatterbox.

Unfortunately, the Chatterbox was not available when I purchased my Nady

I saw recently in some Motorcycle magazine a wireless Chatterbox type of thing. I've been very fed-up with my Chatterbox, as the wire between the student's headset and my main unit is always loose, resulting in a very poor connection and thus shoddy communication. I had to rely entirely on hand signals for the last two events because of it. I know that'd be harder to deal with in terms of students (the student's headset is mounted to the helmet, not a slip-in thing like I'm used to), but it would at least forego the wiring hassles.

The first one is the one I saw, the second looks similar:

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-134/Chatterbox__FRS_X2_Communicator_(2_mi._Range)_.html

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-123/Chatterbox__HJC_FRS_Stereo_Communicator_(2_mi._Range)_.html

When you say the wire is loose for the student headset, do you mean the plug? I started having that trouble after several years of jumping out of the car while still attached. Since I'd also had to glue the mike boom back onto the student headset a couple times from them yanking on it, I finally broke down and bought a new student headset. That fixed all the problems. To avoid a repeat I taped the boom to the earpiece right away and now wrap the wire back between the helmet and the unit so it won't pull directly on the connector. The wire itself seems to be very rugged.