Should I get a driving suit?

05 cayuse

As a new guy to HPDE I've been reading the pros and cons of wearing a driving suit. Since my car is a rag top, I have to drive top down by rule. What do you experienced participants think? Is it considered a safety plus, or a wannabe faux pas? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cayuse, any safety equipment is better than none. Although the incidence of fire is one of the lowest incidents by racing/HPDE occurance, it does happen. It is required in races because of the speeds and collision forces involved in racing. Fires can happen without impacts as well.

Invest in a lightweight SA2005 helmet, the best restraint system you can install, good gloves and shoes. As your expertise and ranking HPDE1-4 moves up, match that with better safety gear.

Does this mean you shouldn't get this stuff right off if you can afford it? Absolutely not! Get all the gear you can as soon as you can. This also means car safety gear like roll bars/cages, driveshaft safety loops, fire extinguishers/systems etc.

If wearing a safety suit makes you unconfortable with others' comments or glances, let them suffer the consequences. You will be protected.

Just my 2cents worth.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest rollover protection (which you should already have) then seats/harness before a suit. If you already have all that stuff then maybe a H&N device? IMO the suit would be the last on my list of safety items to buy for HPDE. Not that it isn't a good idea, but the chance of need other equiptment before the suit is greater.

Great advice! I was thinking the same myself. The suit isn't going to do much good if the roll bar fails. Spending my bucks on a better one.

I'm not rich, but I'm willing to plunk down the $$$$$ when it might save my neck.

Well, that is the number one cause of severe injuries (and more importantly deaths) in racing - neck injuries. There are many head and neck restraint systems on the market ranging from around $200 - $1,000.

A drivers' suit? Na. Heck, I have one for racing but when instructing HPDEs I do not wear it. If you do events when its a bit colder, instead of wearing long-johns (or whatever), maybe get some nomex underwear. Still warm and fire resistant.

A good roll bar is a must. Light helmet? Any decent SA helmet will do. A lighter one is important (for comfort) when doing endurance racing. Check out http://www.snell.org - there's a lot of good information on helmets and the overall Snell ratings there.

Seat belts and seat are good, but rememer that most clubs require that both the instructor and student have the same stuff (you can't have a race seat and 6 pt harness and instructor have a stock seat and belt).

Other safety items - learn as much about car control as you can. The better you are at this, the less likely you'll get into an accident. If you get safety equipment (head and neck restraint, racing belts...) practice getting out of the car quickly. Try doing it with your eyes closed (to simulate various situations).

Seat belts and seat are good, but rememer that most clubs require that both the instructor and student have the same stuff (you can't have a race seat and 6 pt harness and instructor have a stock seat and belt).

Nowhere in the CCR does it say this. What it says is IF you modify the passenger seat then you have follow the same rules that apply to the drivers seat.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9294

Now, it is up to the instructor if they want to get in your roll bar'ed car w/ you sitting in a Sparco and 6 point belts and they are left with a reclining seat and stock 3 point. I know a few instructors and while they may take 1 session with you to see how you do, if you don't score highly, they won't go back out with you.

Umm, that's why I said most clubs.

I've instructed with a bunch of clubs - some require equal safety gear, some don't.

Umm, that's why I said most clubs.

I've instructed with a bunch of clubs - some require equal safety gear, some don't.

Oh sorry, this is a NASA board though.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read into this and was just going to tell you guys my setup and see what you think.

I am hoping to run in the Nasa/HyperFest in July @ Summit Point. I will be running a '95 Dodge Neon SCCA SSC car. It has a full cage and race seat. Still has the passenger seat and stock 3-point. In fact the driver's side has the 3-point there too but it has been tucked away with the cage. I do need to get a 5-point for the driver's side still. Would the 3-point be enough for the instructor's seat? Do I have to get a full race seat? Would a 5-point work on the stock seat? I have read that the instructor won't go in the car with the stock passenger setup. I missed out on a SCCA school because I didn't have my state license with me and I do not want a seat setup ruining my first Nasa event either. Please help!

I've read into this and was just going to tell you guys my setup and see what you think.

I am hoping to run in the Nasa/HyperFest in July @ Summit Point. I will be running a '95 Dodge Neon SCCA SSC car. It has a full cage and race seat. Still has the passenger seat and stock 3-point. In fact the driver's side has the 3-point there too but it has been tucked away with the cage. I do need to get a 5-point for the driver's side still. Would the 3-point be enough for the instructor's seat? Do I have to get a full race seat? Would a 5-point work on the stock seat? I have read that the instructor won't go in the car with the stock passenger setup. I missed out on a SCCA school because I didn't have my state license with me and I do not want a seat setup ruining my first Nasa event either. Please help!

It is really going to be up to the instructor, but here's my view. You have a full cage and a stock passenger seat and stock 3 point belt. Do you feel that in the event of an accident, say, the car flips over, that the passenger would be contained in the seat well enough to prevent injury from the roll cage bars? I don't, and if I were an instructor I would refuse to get in your car. There may be some instructors that would, god bless them, but I would not.

You can email tech and ask the same question, but even if they say yes, you still might miss some track time. Can't you find some used seat and belts and get installed before hyperfest? Heck, my engine is out of my car right now and I plan on making hyperfest . See you there!

Chad,

The engine is supposed to be IN the car

that's why I can't get it to crank

Want to come over and help me put it back in?

It is really going to be up to the instructor, but here's my view. You have a full cage and a stock passenger seat and stock 3 point belt. Do you feel that in the event of an accident, say, the car flips over, that the passenger would be contained in the seat well enough to prevent injury from the roll cage bars? I don't, and if I were an instructor I would refuse to get in your car. There may be some instructors that would, god bless them, but I would not.

You can email tech and ask the same question, but even if they say yes, you still might miss some track time. Can't you find some used seat and belts and get installed before hyperfest? Heck, my engine is out of my car right now and I plan on making hyperfest . See you there!

I see what your saying. It does have a complete stock interior and the seat wouldn't submarine behind into the cage because there is a down pipe that would stop that.

I will email tech and see what they say. I will start looking for a seat and a pair of harness's. Thanks guys for the info, greatly appreciated.

If I do run the HyperFest I will be running a dark blue Dodge Neon #64. It has a grey hood.