Upclassing and rules clarification needed

RX-Heven

First

I have a 91 RX-7 convertable (naturally aspirated) that I have swapped into an engine and drivetrain from a 91 RX-7 Turbo II (turbo, duh).

I believe with engine swaps you are required to start out in the base class from the donor vehicle which in this case is one class up and automatically accrued 15 points. I have a small problem with that and want to express my reasons here.

Some basics about the gross vehicle weights as supplied by Mazda:

The '91 non-turbo coupe RX-7 weighs 2787 lbs. and 160 hp.

The '91 Turbo II RX-7 coupe weighs 2987 lbs. and 200 hp.

The '91 non-turbo convertable weighs 3071 lbs. and 160 hp.

To swap a turbo engine into a non-turbo car you need to swap the beefier and heavier tranny, driveshaft, differntial with housing and axles. The difference in weight of the engine/drivetrain is ~200 pounds which puts me at just under a 300 pound disadvantage to a stock Turbo II car, all else being equal. This is reflected in my vehicles weight of 3268 lbs with 1/2 a tank of gas.

I'm looking to either have one star of the automatically accrued points (8 points) removed or perhaps just 5 or 6 points seeing as how 180-200 pounds of weight removal nets 5-6 points respectively.

Second

On cars with programmable ecus that "allow fine tuning" at the track that also require their own sensors, are we dinged an additional 1-2 points (non-turbo/turbo) for non-OEM sensors?

Third

I have a non-OEM turbo for a factory equipped turbo engine. As a result I had to use a custom tubular exhaust manifold. My question is which, if either is applicable?

30) Aftermarket or modified header. +2

31) Modification or porting of the exhaust manifold. +1

The reason I am unclear is that this is a custom part but is technically an exhaust manifold, not a header

Fourth

Tire size increase.

Factory supplied tires were 205's front and rear.

I currently am running 285's up front and 335's in the rear.

I am of the understanding you go with the largest difference, not the average of the two. So in this case I add 9 points, is that correct?

Fifth

Also, I noticed in the updated version of the car classification thread sticked at the top and linked here:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7459

The RX-7 2nd gen is now TTE*.

Is this for the turbo or non-turbo models?

The old classification had the Turbo II's as TTE** and the non-turbos as TTF.

Sixth

On cars/engines equipped with an intercooler from the factory but replaced with an aftermarket ic, which option do I choose?

23) Add aftermarket intercooler 3 points

24) Non-OEM or modified intercooler 2 points

Also, is there any penalty for relocating it like going from a top mount (on top of engine) to a front mount (behind front bumper) location?

Thanks in adavnce for anyones input and clarification.

Edited by Guest

• National Staff

Dave,

Please go back and read the TT Rules and the TT Rules Addendums. That should clear up five of your six points for you. Then after you read the rules regarding engine swaps and forced induction on non-forced induction models, please e-mail me the information that I need to give you your new base class.

http://nasa-tt.com/Rules

http://nasa-tt.com/Rules/p2005_articleid/30

As far as the tires are concerned. You are correct that we use the end of the car with the biggest difference. So, going from a 205 to a 335 is +11 points.

I'll be waiting to hear from you on your dyno rwhp and TT competition weight. Make sure to leave a cushion on the hp as the rules state so you won't be illegal if you get dyno'd on a different type of dyno than you used to tune the car.