Please remove 315 Rule in ST/TT2

Brian Clarke

Ok now they champs are over can we please remove the 315+ rule from st/tt2?

At all regional events I went to, I would talk to folks and get feedback.  The 315 with less grip, or taking the hit, I would ask.  Either choice slowed down the ST2 field.  There isn't a single car in regional or national competition that uses smaller than 315, that I noted when looking at actual tires used.

PPPPPPlease ;)

@Greg G.

• 2 weeks later...

I competed in ST2 in 2021 and 2022 on 315s.  I will be racing in ST2 on 315s at Watkins Glen in two weeks. 

The data that NASA has from 2023 Championships and the results across the board reflect an accurate assessment of this modifier.  The extra 20mm (almost an inch) of the popular 335 Hoosier provides a considerable increase in grip, resulting in improved longevity through a race.  345 even more so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Emag said:

I competed in ST2 in 2021 and 2022 on 315s.  I will be racing in ST2 on 315s at Watkins Glen in two weeks. 

The data that NASA has from 2023 Championships and the results across the board reflect an accurate assessment of this modifier.  The extra 20mm (almost an inch) of the popular 335 Hoosier provides a considerable increase in grip, resulting in improved longevity through a race.  345 even more so. 

If you spend on a custom wheel the 315 stretches out to about the same.

Just have to spend.  

Can you fit 335?

24 minutes ago, Brian Clarke said:

If you spend on a custom wheel the 315 stretches out to about the same.

Just have to spend.  

Can you fit 335?

Then the same is true for a 335 or 345 stretched on a wide wheel, so what’s the point? 

As mentioned on the FB post I wasn't sure of the rule but it actually makes more sense now. 

First thing. We are talking about ~15whp. 

So is not forbidden. 

Reviewing Jake's  and my videos (1st and 2nd at laguna) the min speed at slow turns was incredible different. 

I run 315. 

Of course the weight is also a factor. (Together with his incredible driver skills)

But while the aero helps on faster turns, the mechanical grip of the extra 20mm is important and worth it some HP 

And 15whp seems a fair number. 

Alessandro 

48 minutes ago, Ale Sensoli said:

But while the aero helps on faster turns, the mechanical grip of the extra 20mm is important and worth it some HP 

And 15whp seems a fair number. 

Alessandro 

I'm no expert.  But driving a tank, It doesn't feel like it (18whp for me).  I feel like I'm so heavy I'm going to destroy any tire after a certain period.  Lightweight, low HP, and biggest tires you can get seems to be the winning combo.  Kinda why the car is for sale, I can't lose much more, car will never get corvette or lighter.

5 hours ago, Ale Sensoli said:

I didnt understand sorry. You are saying that you dont feel the additional mechanical grip or the aero?

I’m saying 18whp avg I’m not going to feel.  When the car is over 3601.  Just too heavy