progression

924sowner

hey, first off im in HPDE 2 and im more hooked on the sport or road racing then ever. my question is, how would i go from HPDE 4 to time trial, then from there what do i need to go racing wheel to wheel? im trying to get into the 944 spec series and currently my car is being modified very slowly, and only as i get comfortable with, and make more progression with my driving. right now my main concirnes are carrying more speed into and through a corner, and smoothness. seeing as my car will never have more power then it does now i dont have to worry about power related traction issues unless im right at the very edge... *about 120-ish hp at the wheels and like torque with a very flat curve* but getting the nerve to take a corner at the speed the car is capable at doing it is unnerving for me. it weighs only 2500 or so lbs and has some agressive alignment settings and good low profile sticky tires... pretty darn good brakes too... well thanks for any info!

• National Staff

Mike,

Once you are approved for HPDE 4, all you have to do is run one clean day in HPDE 4 to be eligible to apply for a TT license the next day (and simultaneously compete in TT that day). You will need to take a Competition Racing class like Driving Concepts in order to get your NASA Provisional Race License.

You just need more seat time to get skilled enough to gain the confidence to push the car harder.

hey thanks. i was confused about how all that worked, no one really explained to me. well, time to go work on my car and get it ready. need to work on that HPDE 3 sign-off... thanks again!

yeah, but not as a participant... im flat broke after i blew a tire on my focus, then blew that one out too... over $500... so theres no cash for an entry fee. but it will shure be cool just to go out there and watch something go on as i havent really been near an event in a while...

Is there a way to sidestep the HPDE 4 requirement to run Time Trials / Hillclimbs only ?

The way the rules are written, it seems to say that TT / Hill Climbs are a "stepping stone" from DE to racing, but they really only seem to be the LAST step - you have to practically have your comp license in order to do one.

I've done a number of HPDE 2 events, some autocrossing, and am now racing wheel-to-wheel on an oval track, but it seems that in order to do a Hill Climb I'd need to go back to road courses to get to HPDE 4.

yeah, but not as a participant... im flat broke after i blew a tire on my focus, then blew that one out too... over $500... so theres no cash for an entry fee. but it will shure be cool just to go out there and watch something go on as i havent really been near an event in a while...

Mike you should start looking in to be a worker, It's extra $$$, you can really learn alot, and you can go to every event you want

couldnt do that eaither. wouldnt be able to get there in time. ive got a previous engagement on weekends thats got me from 6 am to 2 pm...

• National Staff
Is there a way to sidestep the HPDE 4 requirement to run Time Trials / Hillclimbs only ?

The way the rules are written, it seems to say that TT / Hill Climbs are a "stepping stone" from DE to racing, but they really only seem to be the LAST step - you have to practically have your comp license in order to do one.

I've done a number of HPDE 2 events, some autocrossing, and am now racing wheel-to-wheel on an oval track, but it seems that in order to do a Hill Climb I'd need to go back to road courses to get to HPDE 4.

Yep, you need to go back to road courses to run in TT. As you now know, there is a big difference between road course driving and racing on an oval track. However, depending on how much seat time you've had on the roundy-rounds, your driving skill level may be enough to rapidly progress to advanced HPDE and TT, though. We had a former World Champion shifter cart driver that had only driven road courses in cars a few times in his life that safely progressed from HPDE 1 to TT in one weekend. It's all a matter of skill, track experience, and what's safe for everyone else on the track. Contact your local Regional Director and/or your local Regional TT Director to discuss your specific case, and what group you should start back in.