Just Curious

LearningCurves

If the vehicle has a low enough CG and is prepped properly, you should be able to safely run HPDE events. Obviously the Sport Trucks are based on compact trucks and a friend of mine ran an Ford compact ontrack. It wasn't too safe at stock height in the corners, so you need to talk to someone about your suspension settings etc.

Why not state your mods and see what the response is?

Just a thought . . .

interesting... I am also both an impreza and S10 owner.

I'll be running my wrx in HPDE 1 this summer, but I've also wondered how much fun I could have in my S10. It's an '87, lowered 4/5" with a 470 hp 383 stroker small block and 18" wheels, upgraded brakes and sway bars, and a quick ratio steering box. It's a 3 speed auto though, so that would cut down on the fun factor. I still would love to get it out on a road course someday though.

Rodder, get that thing on track and test it out! With that much hp and good enough brakes you will learn a lot! Just don't overcook your corner entries and then factor in what you've learned with the WRX. You will be on your way with both AWD and RWD vehicles. This kind of experience is invaluable!

I'm an HPDE3 instructor and would love to have people learn in different vehicles to see what the differences were and adjust to them.

Remember, go fast, have fun, BE SAFE!

Later,

MD out

Thanks MD, for some reason I never even considered the benefits of learning to drive multiple vehicles with different drivetrain layouts on the track. I'll have to take your advice!

well I will be a bit more extreme with my setup... well suspension wise, I have a 2000 S-10 LS that is in the current process of being rebuilt, I have a competition engineering 4 link rear suspension with panhard bar and QA-1 adjustable coilovers, up front, I have upper and lower tubular control arms with QA-1 adjustable coilovers, I have an extreme S-10 quick ratio steering box, with 4-piston Wilwood front brakes and 2 piston Wilwood disc brakes in the rear, I am running 17"x9" ZO6 Corvette wheels with Hankook RS2 tires, motor wise, I am not sure on where to go as of yet, a V8 would be nice, but that is a lot of extra weight that I would rather not carry around, I am thinking about a turbo 6 cylinder or develop a 4 cylinder turbo that is worth carrying me around,

that sounds like fun! Which coilovers are you using in the front? Are they a bolt in S10 coilover? The only QA1 coilovers I've seen for S10s are meant for drag racing. Also, whose control arms are you using? I'm headed in the same direction as you suspension-wise. Future plans include an S&W 4 link back half with coilovers, bbk and tubular control arms.

As for the V8, with aluminum heads a SBC only adds about 100 lbs over the 4.3 V6. If you really want to save weight you could always go with an aluminum block. My standard cab '87 with aluminum heads is down right around the 3000 lbs mark. That's with a TH400. A manual tranny should help cut weight even more.

I am currently still working in progress of the suspension, for the coilover setup, QA-1s does have adjustable shocks that should bolt up if you get the right length, but you will still have to run the regular coil spring, now if you want a coilover setup on your S-10, especially with my 2000, they molded the frame around the coil spring, it is my belief that with a coilover setup, you will either have to modify the frame itself or work around it, the coilover is also QA-1, it is for universal applications, streetrods, etc... you will have to build an upper shock mount, which is not too terribly hard, a place called Progressive Automotive in Baltimore, Ohio will custom build upper and lower tubular control arms for the truck, as long as you provide the proper dimensions, http://www.progressiveautomotive.com , they mostly build street rod suspension, their stuff is very very good,

you are correct about the V8... I will actually consider that when it comes down too it, it seems to me that too many people are going that route though, I think it would be awesome to see a V6 powered truck be able to keep up, or do something that not many people have done... try to build a 4 cylinder turbo motor...

I have also a 1st generation Ranger that has a 2.3L turbo out of a Thunderbird turbocoupe, I am also setting that truck up for autocross or driver schools...

I can say one thing, I have way too many projects to work on...