AI coverage in MM&FF

mwilson7

If you can believe it there is an article on the AI series in the March issue of MM&FF on page 175 written by David Vizard who appears to be an AI competitor. 5 pages of coverage with some basics on the class and what appears to be the first of many monthly installments.

Perhaps they will be cover AI/X this year as they have told me they would be.....

I remember reading some articles in another magazine at least a year ago where David Vizard was building a Mustang for AI. Wasn't it Grassroots Motorsports? He was going through some basic engine building scenarios and listing RWHP IIRC.

MM&FF is actually short for "Muscle Mustangs with Horrendous Ground Effects & Fast Fords With Tasteless Paintjobs All of Which Only Race In a Straight Line".

Hey,

Exposure is exposure!! Although I fully agree that MM&FF is a drag racing oriented magazine it is exposure in magazines like that which will peak the interest of both potential spectators and sponsors. We (NASA National and Regional Directors) should be looking at teaming up with these magazines to promote events and have stand alone events like Fontana and VIR.

You can slam these guys all you want but the media is our best friend.

Just think Fun Ford Weekend on a road course.

I can dream can't I

Well, where are the non car specific magazine articles? I have seen NASA covered in Car & Driver, our buddy at 5.0 is also our buddy at Road & Track.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an article on AI in any non enthusiast magazine. Heck, even SCCA doesn't seem to get coverage in the mainstream magazines.....

• Members

David has been working on a car for AI for a few years now, he is based in Charlotte, and has been known to help a few of us local AI guys out every now and then...

Unfortunately, he has had to make the car do double duty because MM&FF is primarily a 1/4 mi mag. If you ever want to get overwhelmed go to http://www.amazon.com and search for 'david vizard' - he has been busy!

Wow...David Vizard is a busy guy. That's impressive! I thought Richard Holdener (former Mustang racer) did a lot of book writing but I think David may have him beat.

I'm just starting to monitor the forum a little more now that our 2004 Texas AI/CMC season is only a month away. Thought I'd chime in and turn the lurk mode off.

I will say that MMFF and 5.0 magazine have been very good friends to NASA and specifically AI/CMC in years past. The writers of these magazines I've come acquainted with are clamoring to cover more road racing action. (Unfortunately, drag racing is what sells right now so they obviously need to cater to their customers.) However, I might even go on to say that there is a "movement" on the part of the magazine editors/writers to try and cover more roadracing and broaden the readership(as much as possible and still keep sales up)... and AI is just the vehicle to get that done.

The more we can do to keep providing them with material, the better the American Iron Racing world will be!

Todd

• 1 month later...
I'm not a huge fan of this mag, but will buy from the newsstand if they print stuff on AI.

Ditto. And I've never even owned a Ford in my life.

This brings me forward to something that I've never been able to understand about AI - why aren't we pushing it as a spectator event? As a pony car enthusiast for over 20 years, if I had known about AI before becoming involved, I would have shown up as a spectator (as I did last year). Just curious. Most street oriented mustang/f-body guys would love to watch one of those races.