looking for dot slicks

Jordan

I am looking for some DOT slicks for road racing.I know the Kumho's are great but they are more gear towards auto-x.I have a 2002 GT mustang that weighs 3610 with me.What would you guys recommend?

For road racing...

Are you referring to HPDEs or actual club racing? Based on your post, it seems like HPDEs. The fastest tire avail. right now (partially based on your vehicle's weight) is either the goodyear tires or my favorite, Hoosiers. Are you looking for a DOT tire (looks very much like a slick but with a groove or two) or true slicks?

how much experience do you have with HPDEs? personally, though i want to go faster and stickyer tires are a great way to do so... stick to street tires... cheap ones that can atleast handle the speeds you reach. they will help you become a much better driver in the long run. and DOT slicks, ore any R compound tire really hard to predict when they are exactly at their limit untill your used to them. they dont squeal very much till your pretty much sideways. just my $0.02

For road racing...

Are you referring to HPDEs or actual club racing? Based on your post, it seems like HPDEs. The fastest tire avail. right now (partially based on your vehicle's weight) is either the goodyear tires or my favorite, Hoosiers. Are you looking for a DOT tire (looks very much like a slick but with a groove or two) or true slicks?

its for HPDE and similar stuff in other programs.im looking for a groved slick that i can drive to the track on.the past two events ive done was on a cheap 255/35/18 street tire, so lame i dont even know the name.but my plan is to get a whole new set of wheels and full on better tires.

In that case, I'm with 924S and his recommendation. Consider using Toyo Proxes RA1s (you can have them shaved) or Azenis (sp?). Do you live very close to the track you'll be driving at? If not, you'll find it a bit challenging driving to the track on a DOT race tire.

Phil at http://www.philstireservice.com can provide you some good advice on tires. He's a very nice guy and is one of us racers. (No, I don't work for that company.)

Stay away from a slick type... HPDE and you're driving to the event? go with the Toyo Proxes RA1s. Excellent tire, good grip, wears well, recovers well from over heating, and predicable when pushing it to the edge. Follow manufactures break-in instructions for any tire, or have them heat cycled, but as for Toyo RA1s don't really need to heat cycle them. Just go easy first few sessions. Play with tire air pressure after they heat up to find the best feel for your car. Didn't notice too much difference between saved and unshaved Toyo's. This tire is not directional so you can dismount tire and flip or rotate for evening out the wear to get more life from the tire, especially if you have changed any camber settings. For HPDE I would just shave them yourself from normal track use and save your money. But overall great tire and a good stepping stone before a racing slick.

Stay away from a slick type... HPDE and you're driving to the event? go with the Toyo Proxes RA1s. Excellent tire, good grip, wears well, recovers well from over heating, and predicable when pushing it to the edge. Follow manufactures break-in instructions for any tire, or have them heat cycled, but as for Toyo RA1s don't really need to heat cycle them. Just go easy first few sessions. Play with tire air pressure after they heat up to find the best feel for your car. Didn't notice too much difference between saved and unshaved Toyo's. This tire is not directional so you can dismount tire and flip or rotate for evening out the wear to get more life from the tire, especially if you have changed any camber settings. For HPDE I would just shave them yourself from normal track use and save your money. But overall great tire and a good stepping stone before a racing slick.

alright ill try that tire.ive already been messing with the air pressures.what rim size would you recommend 17" or 18"

well, rim size is really a thing of preffrence... ther isint really a right or wrong rim size. weight is an issue though. light rims help out alot. as far as 17'' and 18'' go, 17'' are better because theres many more tire size choices out there for them. just take a look at the closest Tire Rack add in a magazine.... 15'' rims work for my porsche well, 17'' work for my ford focus well. wouldnt really change ether of them.

Yep, more of a preference. See what other experienced drivers with your type of car are running. I would agree about limited tire sizes, don't get a rim that is limited with tires to fit. I prefer a 14" light weight racing rim for the 240Z, Panasport. "For Racing Only" rims probably not good idea for street use, but while making a choice watch the weight too. Some might be adding "un-sprung" weight to the car.

I know of a TR4 driver looking for smaller 14" rims to change his low end torque ratio, and others for a taller to increase top end speed... and then there are those people who choose a track wheel by the BLING BLING factor which I don't understand?

well, rim size is really a thing of preffrence... ther isint really a right or wrong rim size. weight is an issue though. light rims help out alot. as far as 17'' and 18'' go, 17'' are better because theres many more tire size choices out there for them. just take a look at the closest Tire Rack add in a magazine.... 15'' rims work for my porsche well, 17'' work for my ford focus well. wouldnt really change ether of them.

You want a 17" wheel, just look at the cost difference between the 18" RA1 and the 17" RA1, not to mention you cannot find an affordable light 18" wheel.