Advanced level tires

BrandonT

Hey, I am getting ready to replace my A032R tires. I am ready (signed off) to move up to HPDE4, though I have not run there yet due to overcrowding.

Anyway, the A032Rs lasted me quite a while - 10+ track days easy. And they're pretty grippy. (The G2X datalogger says 1.1G steady 1.2ish peak) I have heard great things about the RA1s and Pilot Sport Cups. (Pilots being much more expensive) Can anyone give me input on which of these are grippier and how they wear? Both the RA1 and PSC have 'wear like iron' reputations, but I can't imagine them outlasting the A032s. Thanks!

Brandon,

It sounds like those tires are doing very well for you - why change them? 10 plus track days is awesome! To go faster, forget sinking your money into tires and spend it on something much more meaningful - you.

Have you studied (and re-read) racing books such as Speed Secrets and Going Faster? Do you have good in-car video that shows the lines you take? Do you use mental imagery to take it to the next step? Do you always run perfect laps? (I know I still have a ways to go.) What I'm getting at is focus on what can be done to you to become faster, not the car or tires.

If you decide to start racing, then maybe consider the fastest tire. If the other tires are working well for you, why change?

Brandon,

It sounds like those tires are doing very well for you - why change them? 10 plus track days is awesome! To go faster, forget sinking your money into tires and spend it on something much more meaningful - you.

If you decide to start racing, then maybe consider the fastest tire. If the other tires are working well for you, why change?

Just looking to get the best tire I can. I have in car video, GPS datalogging and trackmapping, and have read the books you suggest. That does not mean I am a perfect driver! I am sure I can still improve. However I need new tires anyway so I may as well get the best I can find. The difference between a set of PSC and A032 is only about $200.

Brandon,

I don't think you're going to get a whole bunch more grip out of the Sport Cups or RA1s. If you liked the A032s, stick with them. If you want to explore the market place that's cool too, but don't do it for more grip. Your only option for more grip are Kumho 710s, Hooisers, and the like.

Jon

From my open utility trailer at my house. I stupidly left them out between events instead of unloading. They were cabled & locked, but not enough. Next time I'll have to run a bar through them and get some seriously tough locks. Now I need to go back to the bank (wife) and see if she'll let me buy another set. I don't know what is worse, the fact that I only slept 4 hours last night or that 4 hours was enough time to take my wheels.

I feel your pain...somebody nicked a brand-new set of RA1s out of my truck last fall. They were on wheels with an odd bolt pattern and offset, so they're lost on whoever took 'em.

Thieves suck.