Rental Car for HPDE?

mcmmotorsports

Has anyone ever rented a car for an HPDE event?

Now, before you jump to answer.....I am refering to a REAL Rental Car like from Hertz Avis or Enterprise.

Curious how this would work out.

I heard Hertz is renting out the new Mustang in certain cities...

EEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!

A friend of ours rents the new Mustangs with the full insurance package... "wreck and walk" .... and he's covered for the day. Then he so happens to show up at Open Track events to join the fun. While his car is under construction he has enjoyed bringing rentals to the track many times. They consider him a good repeat customer who pays for the whole rental package, but he often has to be sure not to get the same car twice... knowing the brakes need servicing soon..

Just drive with in yours and the cars limits and have fun.

I've known some guys who have brought rental cars to the track. Brakes and tires always seem to go away. Plus most of them seem to have automatic transmissions...

• 1 month later...

I was at a track event at Streets of Willow yesterday and there was a guy there with a rental Dodge Charger. He was keeping up with many of the cars there, including my Miata - even in the turns!

I know, I must be the world's worst driver ever.

Yep, those rental Hertz Mustangs are really on tracks. Here is a video of one that was out with us a couple of weeks ago on a track.

I won't say who the participant was (no not me), but there was a black and gold Shelby GT350H Mustang at Pueblo this past weekend. He said when he was leaving the lot the attendent asked if he would be driving the car fast at all. When he replied, "uh yeah... something like that" the lot attendant said, "Good!! It's about time someone did!!!".

For more details on the rental "racer", you can check out this story: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/12/2006-ford-shelby-gt-h-unveiled/

a certain someone I knew took a certian rental Chevy Cobalt out at a certian track called Rockingham

it was quite hilarious to see the looks on the HPDE 1 & 2 drivers faces when this guy who is quite experienced with them was catching and passing them in a truly showroom stock, rolly polly, not much power, understeer machine

• National Staff

I heard a rumor that even the Hertz 6 cylinder Mustangs are pretty fun to drive, and that the Goodyear Eagles even last for more than one day (much better than the Neons or Calibers).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hertz has the 350Z and the Shelby 350GT-H.

350Z is a great choice...so I've heard....um....urrrr.....ahhhh....You could probably get one for about $92.58 with tax and unlimited miles. For that, I have heard you get 297hp, auto tranny with tip-tronic feature and fairly sticky bridgestones. Also, the has a built in tire pressure monitoring system that will give you real time pressures at all 4 corners, so I've heard.

I thought that the car did very well at willow, I mean I have heard that they do well and you get more than you money's worth from the ride.

Gee - I know of someone that rented a Hertz V-6 Mustang just to score points in TT since their car was in the shop. The tires and brakes lasted all weekend driving in 2 HPDE groups. Rotors were blue when it went back and the tires were chunked well, but no one said anything when it was returned.

• Members

"Congressman, I have no independent recollection of this incident therefore I cannot confirm or deny the allegations".......but it wasn't me.

Now, if you were talking about the white 350Z with a big blue #7 on the doors......um......ah......I take the 5th!

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend trying National Rent-a-car as when you're in their Emerald program (free) you can pick any car on the emerald aisle. I've see some nice cars there, including vettes.

Also, Hertz rents Suby Legacys, Mustang V6s, etc.

I was looking at Hertz rental agreement, they've got every word possible listed in big letters concerning their cars on a track banning you from the track. No racing, driving eduction, autocross, open track, drag racing, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I was looking at Hertz rental agreement, they've got every word possible listed in big letters concerning their cars on a track banning you from the track. No racing, driving eduction, autocross, open track, drag racing, etc.

Is that rental agreement online? I was looking for it the other day but couldn't find it. If so could you post a link?

Is that rental agreement online? I was looking for it the other day but couldn't find it. If so could you post a link?

I saw it in person when I rented a carrolla (very little chance of that thing ever seeing a track). It was pretty inclusive. I don't have a web link. Also, they'll probably vary by state. This was in PA.

• Members

If you do rent the GT350-H from Hertz, I have heard you can diable the traction control in about 15 seconds. If you put the key at the base of the traction control button and use it to dig a little behind the base of the button, then pull up and outward, BAM! it comes right off. Remove the silver clip that serves as a button restrictor and then put the button right back on. I have heard that if you push the button again, you will notice that the TSC button light goes off and the TSC off light goes on in the gage area. I have also heard that you can now do a 4 wheel drift exiting 4a at Willowsprings if you do this.

However, I have also heard that you will find that at the end of the day on a fast track, you will all but destroy the rear pads.

Again, this is only a rumor and what I heard. I would never endorse such a flagrent violation of the rental agreement.

BTW, they can forbid whatever they want on the contract. All that it does is void your insurance coverage if you buy it. Well, guess what...you're on the track so it's probably going to be voided anyway. What are they going to do, sue you for breach of contract? And how will they determine the damages and prove you did it by being at a HPDE? I will tell you this much...I wouldn't be using a transponder if I was using a rental.