HPDE Questions

Bernard

I just got a Factory Five Challenge race car and like to try it out at the next HPDE event in SoCal. Thus, I have a couple of questions regarding HPDE Group 4.

1) Is it required for HPDE, in an open race car with roll structure, to wear a closed face helmet or does this only apply to racing?

2) Are drivers of Group 4 allowed to take a passenger along?

To avoid any uncalled responses, let me tell you that I've raced a tin top with NASA a few years back and still hold current competition licenses for SCCA Club & Pro Racing.

Thanks,

Bernard

World's Tallest SM Pilot

2) Are drivers of Group 4 allowed to take a passenger along?

Yup.

To avoid any uncalled responses, let me tell you that I've raced a tin top with NASA a few years back and still hold current competition licenses for SCCA Club & Pro Racing.

I'd hope that people can ask questions like that here without getting flak, but maybe I'm optimistic.

1) Is it required for HPDE, in an open race car with roll structure, to wear a closed face helmet or does this only apply to racing?

HPDE Rule:

11.3: Drivers should wear eye protection such as goggles, safety glasses or face shields preferably made of new impact resistant materials.

And then, in the race section:

15.17.5: A full-face helmet with an impact resistant face shield is required in “open” cars (FFR, sports racers, formula cars) and highly recommended for all vehicles. Eye protection is required.

Since 95% of HPDE cars have windsheilds and the rule is basically the same, I would say that a full face helmet is required in FFR vehicles no matter what session they run in. Eye protection is clearly called for.

Congratulations on your new car!

If you plan on eventually racing in the FFR group, I'd recommend getting use to wearing the full-face helmet. Even in my closed racecar I pull down the shield to avoid flying track rubber...

PS... This site hosts a great group of people who very rarely give uncalled- for responses

Greg

Congratulations on your new car!

If you plan on eventually racing in the FFR group, I'd recommend getting use to wearing the full-face helmet. Even in my closed racecar I pull down the shield to avoid flying track rubber...

and don't forget 120lb of speedy dry yea, that just happened to me last weekend 3/4 of the track was covered in that stuff, I'm still getting it out of my car, engine, and a few other places I'd care not to mention. I had an instructor in the car w/ me at the time so I opted for the open face helmet and left the full face in the trailer, boy was that a mistake.

and don't forget 120lb of speedy dry yea, that just happened to me last weekend 3/4 of the track was covered in that stuff, I'm still getting it out of my car, engine, and a few other places I'd care not to mention. I had an instructor in the car w/ me at the time so I opted for the open face helmet and left the full face in the trailer, boy was that a mistake.

There ya go... something in the eye at 120 mph