HPDE in a Hurry

kellen_wynn

How fast/easy is it to move up the ranks of HPDE? I'm most interested in getting to at least HPDE2 ASAP. This way I can attend most of the events. I may be leaving the U.S. and want to get the car out on the track as much as possible but the HPDE1 seems to be every other month.

How long did it take you guys to get to HPDE2?

Can I make an appeal to go straight to HPDE2?

• National Staff
How fast/easy is it to move up the ranks of HPDE? I'm most interested in getting to at least HPDE2 ASAP. This way I can attend most of the events. I may be leaving the U.S. and want to get the car out on the track as much as possible but the HPDE1 seems to be every other month.

How long did it take you guys to get to HPDE2?

Can I make an appeal to go straight to HPDE2?

You will start in HPDE1. However, there are monthly events in HPDE1 in both NorCal and SoCal. So, with you living in the Central Coast, you could attend two events a month if you wanted to. Drivers generally stay in HPDE 1 for one to three weekends.

Drivers generally stay in HPDE 1 for one to three weekends.

I dont think I've seen anyone stay in hpde1 for more than a weekend. I moved into hpde2 after two 20min sessions.

Drivers generally stay in HPDE 1 for one to three weekends.

I dont think I've seen anyone stay in hpde1 for more than a weekend. I moved into hpde2 after two 20min sessions.

I've seen people in HPDE3 that needed to go back to 1, don't be so quick to move up groups people. There are PLENTY of things you can work on in HPDE1/2 that don't require the speed of 3.

Agreed Chad,

Take advantage of the Instructor in HPDE 1-2 for many diferent events. You will be assigned different instructors...all can teach you something. If you are inclined to race than ask to be assigned an instructor who is also a racer.

if your instructor is lazy or just satsified enough with your driving and would rather chill out or do his own thing than instruct anymore, find another

i keep hearing people who get to their 2nd school and because their instructor says "you're fine", they accept it

pfft. I got another instructor. He was a Spec Miata guy... BIG HELP! woohoo

• 1 month later...

I was in no hurry to move to HPDE3 but after running a few events in 2 it kind of got frustrating with the passing thing. In HPDE3 I can go my own pace and people seem more aware of other cars on the track.

Don't be in a hurry to move up, especially since you live in CA where there's monthly NASA events. Listen to all the instructors and try not to get an ego. As soon as you start discarding what they say, you stop getting faster. Even if you are turning faster lap times than them, it doesn't mean you shouldn't listen.

Chad

O.k. Being an instructor...

You need to tell the instructor what your goals are. If you goal is to learn to push yourself and the car to its limits, with the goal of racing, tell us! There are many people who are just happy with taking the car out on the track and not pushing it too hard.

Again, depending upon your goals, I do think it is a good idea to find someone who races (if you too want to race).

One thing while at some events is seeing the lack of people taking advantage of instructors. Even as an experienced driver and someone who is capable of winning, I always look for additional coaching. If the top pros can benefit from it, so can I.

To answer your question, tell the people running the event you'd like to move upto HPDE 2 and ask them to evaluate you when you're ready. But don't stress out about it too much and forget to have fun!

HPDE 1 & 2 run at the same time, atleast in all the events I have gone to. I like the instruction, especially when it's the first time on a track. What's a better way to learn the lines other than your classroom being the car on the track!

• 1 month later...

just my 2 cents:

I needed the instruction. I had a ego going in cause I THOUGHT I was a good driver cause of the way I drive on the street. Hardly the case. Street driving and track driving is different obviously but ego's will carry over.

I'm lucky enough to have my uncle who is a racer and instructor. Taught me all the lines and how to look for them at Laguna Seca. Funny how your own family will be harder on you. But is for my safety and the others on the track.

Next event was at Infineon. Uncle passed me to HPDE 2 but he told me to sign up for 1 and get the instructor to the learn the course. The instructor I got there was great too. We were gaining so much time w/ my 100hp miata on the solo hpde 2 drivers in their corvettes and higher horse power cars (no disrespect) that may or may not ever drove at Infineon. Either way, I can't say good things about them. For all the students who are thinking about HPDE, these instructor are volunteering there time to teach you, not paid to teach you.

Any new track I go to I will sign up for an instructor cause I probably never have the right line or find the correct apex w/o them or know how to enter / exit a turn faster.

quote from instructor: if you listen to me. I bet you I'll gain you 1/10 second at each turn. Sure enough. I did and more.

Show me someone in a hurry to go up thru the ranks and I'll show you a problem. When it comes to acheiving a skill at anything "Time" is the key word.

As for egos, egos are fun but there is no place for one during the learning curve.