Length of HPDE sessions?

mcmmotorsports

you will need about 30 min of tape though to be safe, you don't want to be going down the front straight at 80mph and trying to turn on the camera .

Did you get one of those nifty Compact Flash recorders?

Well, I have my Sony DSC-W1 which records at 30fps but for only 3:00 on a 256mb card. I can go buy a 2mb card which will give me about 23 minutes or so for $100. The picture quality on my Sony is GREAT and it is small but it is limited in terms of file sizes. When I went to dyno day, I would record 10 minutes of footage and then upload it to a laptop to clear up space. That was a pain.

I borrowed one of my friends OLD camcorders with image stabilization but being it is a vhs-c, the tape heads vibrate when mounted like this:

cammount27.jpg

I am going to ask if I can borrow one of her other 5 cameras, hopefully a newer one that will not have the same problem. If not, I might go to Wally World and see if this one has a decent image at 320x240 30fps.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4857804#Specifications

I could also "rent" a new digital camcorder from Wal-Mart too. evilgr.gif

I have been stressing these past few days trying to get my video setup for Sunday's trip to The Rock. My Sony picture camera does GREAT videos, but only about 3 minutes of it. I borrowed a friends VHS-C camera, made two separate mounts, one was too flimsy and the second was very secure but made the tape heads vibrate like crazy resulting in a distorted image.

So, I went to Target, dropped $100 on this cheap ass digital video camera hoping it would do the trick. So far, I am impressed. It has an MP3 player so I can play toons, a 5 megapixel camera that is pretty friggin awesome compared to my $300 Sony. Best of all, I can record over 5 hours of video on the 1gb SD card I bought to go with it (extra $50). Anyways, here is two pics and a sample vid.

Here is the setup:

incarcam.jpg

Sony Camera pic:

goodcam.jpg

Cheap Camera pic:

cheapcam.jpg

Not too shabby.

Here is the sample video, btw I have to adjust the white balance and play with the microphone to get better sound, but this thing will do the trick:

Right Click, Save As:

http://www.mcmmotorsports.com/cheapmovie.wmv

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the uploads. Looks pretty nice. Any suggestions on camera mounts? I have a rollbar and a camera that should do the trick but not sure what to use to mount the camera to it.

Only mount you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/I-O-Port-Racing-Video-Camera-Mount-Rollbar-NEW-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ250012758365QQihZ015QQcategoryZ107064QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought a Canon Z500 and the above mount, from the same seller BTW. Worked AWESOME!!

Right Click, Save As:

http://www.mcmmotorsports.com/mcmvir.wmv

• 1 month later...
Sessions,,, Not long enough

You need to make a trip to Colorado.... ! We did a 3 hour HPDE "endurance" session which ran from 6pm - 9pm. My guys ate it up and had a blast running into the darkness.

Is that long enough?

cammount27.jpg

I have been using this exact camera in my 944 spec race car for 4-5 years now. I have always had good sucess using teh IO port camera mounted to my roll cage.

Here is a good shot of the mount.

cage02.jpg

You need to make a trip to Colorado.... ! We did a 3 hour HPDE "endurance" session which ran from 6pm - 9pm. My guys ate it up and had a blast running into the darkness.

Is that long enough?

OH My...

I'd be in heaven, but my caR would want to kill me. I'd also have to have about 15-20 bottles of oil just for the track time. (min 1qt sometimes2 for 20 mins)

bbasso, i see you in all the forums itrca H-T and here now that i joined!!

my instructor yesterday said that the average adult can only concentrate on something as difficult as hp driving for about 20 min.

First HPDE weekend couple years ago (not NASA); did two 20 min sessions in AM, two 30 min sessions in PM each day.

30 minutes seems twice as long as 20, and I felt my attention and focus deteriorating ...

Did 25 min sessions few weeks ago with NASA ... that's about right for me now ... but would like four sessions a day.

bbasso, i see you in all the forums itrca H-T and here now that i joined!!

my instructor yesterday said that the average adult can only concentrate on something as difficult as hp driving for about 20 min.

I'm everywhere...

But track time is the only time I actually concentrate on anything

I could track until the car blows up, and have

I have been on track for 4 25mins sessions back to back and was still wanting to go back out, but that's when I relized I needed another case of oil

If there was one place I could re-live my life (Groundhog Day (1993) it would be on a Track/ Road course.

• 1 month later...

20 to 30 min sessions are the norm. Most ppl are exhuasted by the end of the first day.

For HPDEs that is about right.

The average adult can only concentrate on one thing about 15 sec. So a 20-30 min session, plus the adrenaline and testoerone flowing mixed in the the fumes of 93 and 100 octaine exhuast, and brake dust. Just about does it.

Ohhh but what a ride.