Major Issue getting new Vehicles Dyno'd!

WillyDaP

There needs to be a major change in NASA rules for the required Dynamometer runs to determine horsepower to weight ratios so you can figure the Class you need to run. Many and apparently virtually all new cars have so many "Nannies " that a two wheel drive vehicle will shut down or engage ABS and Traction control systems even if shut off when one uses a two-wheel Dyno. After driving down to Topeka to have multiple National Champion Driver and master Mazda Engine builder Jesse Prather do a Dyno on my 24 Cayman GTS we found out through numerous calls that the new Porsches would require a AWD Dyno to work , because without the front wheels turning the system would override the switched off traction control and even engage ABS. No runs could be made , but Jesse was not willing to concede though he had heard some issues about new cars becoming difficult and trying to put in Dyno mode or override was apparently becoming almost impossible. He would not charge me for all the time he spent as he was hoping to find a way to defeat the Porsche's systems. After numerous calls, even to a well known Midwest Porsche Race Builder and calls to Porsche of Omaha ( they were super helpful) we found out that an AWD system was basically mandatory. There is also another tool ( Autel ) that might work to override , but not a single Porsche Tuner was positive it would work on a 2024. 

Key to this dilemma is NASA says all 2WD/FWD must be done on a 2WD Dynojet ( required ) and there is no opening for using an AWD unit, and ironically most of those are Mustang Dynos. Lastly, and this is super important, finding an AWD Dyno is not the full answer, because one must find a newer ( and very expensive ) unit that is a " Linked " Dynamometer. This enables the front and rear cylinders to synchronize so that speeds are matched front to back. Calls Jesse made confirmed that a non linked system would be no better than using the conventional system. 

Thankfully I found a new AWD " Linked " Dynamometer at a shop in Waukee, Iowa ( Paragon Performance ) that works primarily on new C8s and it appears they can help. Surprisingly they also have a Dynojet " Linked " Dyno, so things should work out. 

The issue now is that NASA rules need to be adjusted since this will not be a problem that goes away, with more and more Manufacturers pushing the envelope for tons of " Nannies ."

Hope to see something changing soon, as at present I have no Class I can run per the rules as a Dyno run on a AWD unit is not allowed for a 2WD vehicle. The rule needs to include Mustang Dynos ,as it appears they have a larger number of AWD " Linked" units in the Midwest ,at least.

Respectfully,

Bill Pemberton

NASA Rules and Technical Committee please look into this. A change is necessary so required Dyno Runs can be done on various new vehicles. This on references a new Porsche Cayman GTS.

• National Staff
12 hours ago, WillyDaP said:

There needs to be a major change in NASA rules for the required Dynamometer runs to determine horsepower to weight ratios so you can figure the Class you need to run. Many and apparently virtually all new cars have so many "Nannies " that a two wheel drive vehicle will shut down or engage ABS and Traction control systems even if shut off when one uses a two-wheel Dyno. After driving down to Topeka to have multiple National Champion Driver and master Mazda Engine builder Jesse Prather do a Dyno on my 24 Cayman GTS we found out through numerous calls that the new Porsches would require a AWD Dyno to work , because without the front wheels turning the system would override the switched off traction control and even engage ABS. No runs could be made , but Jesse was not willing to concede though he had heard some issues about new cars becoming difficult and trying to put in Dyno mode or override was apparently becoming almost impossible. He would not charge me for all the time he spent as he was hoping to find a way to defeat the Porsche's systems. After numerous calls, even to a well known Midwest Porsche Race Builder and calls to Porsche of Omaha ( they were super helpful) we found out that an AWD system was basically mandatory. There is also another tool ( Autel ) that might work to override , but not a single Porsche Tuner was positive it would work on a 2024. 

Key to this dilemma is NASA says all 2WD/FWD must be done on a 2WD Dynojet ( required ) and there is no opening for using an AWD unit, and ironically most of those are Mustang Dynos. Lastly, and this is super important, finding an AWD Dyno is not the full answer, because one must find a newer ( and very expensive ) unit that is a " Linked " Dynamometer. This enables the front and rear cylinders to synchronize so that speeds are matched front to back. Calls Jesse made confirmed that a non linked system would be no better than using the conventional system. 

Thankfully I found a new AWD " Linked " Dynamometer at a shop in Waukee, Iowa ( Paragon Performance ) that works primarily on new C8s and it appears they can help. Surprisingly they also have a Dynojet " Linked " Dyno, so things should work out. 

The issue now is that NASA rules need to be adjusted since this will not be a problem that goes away, with more and more Manufacturers pushing the envelope for tons of " Nannies ."

Hope to see something changing soon, as at present I have no Class I can run per the rules as a Dyno run on a AWD unit is not allowed for a 2WD vehicle. The rule needs to include Mustang Dynos ,as it appears they have a larger number of AWD " Linked" units in the Midwest ,at least.

Respectfully,

Bill Pemberton

"Dynamometer tests must be conducted on a Dynojet Model for front and rear wheel drive
vehicles,..."

Where does it say that you need to use a 2WD Dynojet?  It doesn't. 

Does the PIWIS not what for the '24 to put it into Dyno test mode?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Greg,much appreciated as this was not clarified when I asked earlier and if it had been I would not have had to post this, but this will alleviate part of the situation. There does not appear to be alot of  AWD Dynojet Systems in my area of the Midwest , but I did locate two that have the " Linx " system necessary for vehicles that need the front wheels to be spinning and they are:

Paragon Performance in Waukee, Iowa and Excessive Autosports in Sioux Falls, SD.  Apparently I will still have to send in a note to the National Office as after chatting with numerous folks over the last few days  since a newer Cayman runs through the OBD plug in to do Dyno runs. It would take a very long and tedious dismantling of the car to get the engine and no one apparently does this. On our first attempt to Dyno on a 2WD Dynojet we spent a bunch of time trying to figure how to get the carpeted cover and more off and was finally told that was a insane task and folks just use a OBD tool for running Dynos on them. Maybe that will help someone else and again thanks for the post. Hopefully I can set up a run in the next few weeks so I can get set for the 24 Season with NASA!

Edited by WillyDaP