*UPDATE* 951 Oil Cooler Housing Compatibility

genikz

Hey Fellas,

I just bought a 951 oil cooler housing, lines and cooler to slap onto my '88 924S.

I read on clarks-garage (of course after I bought it) that late '87-on cars have an updated OPRV that is apparently a different length than the 83-early 87 cars.

Has anybody run into a problem installing a 951 oil cooler housing to a late model year 924S/944 block?

I asked the seller what year Turbo the parts came off of, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Edited by Guest

The issue is with the OPRV.

There are 3 styles.

3 piece

1 piece replacement for 3 piece

1 piece late

I have a oil filter hsg from an 86 944 Turbo. Now I have it installed in my 84 block using the replacement 1 piece valve

I ran it for a time in my 88 block too, but needed to use the 88 OPRV.

I believe the difference is that the early housings had a machined hole for the 3 piece spring valve. The newer once just have a loose tolerance cast surface. So you cannot use the 3 piece valve with the newer housing. You can use an older one with either of the two newer valves.

Note my 87 924s had the 1 piece update valve and y 88 924S had the new 1 piece valve. They look similar, but the older replacement unit has an o-ring off the end of the valve. The newer one has this o-ring captured on the end in a proper o-ring groove.

When you get the parts post some pics and picks of what car has in it now and I can help.

• 1 month later...

So I FINALLY received my 951 oil cooler housing. Comparing the casting for the OPRV for both, my old OPRV will end up the same depth on the new housing.

For the record the 951 setup came from an '87.

So, no suprise here really, the late 944 Turbo oil cooler setup will bolt right up to the late NA block with the one piece OPRV.