Vibrating engine

Tom #16

I just got through resealing the front of the engine and the balance shaft assemblies. It really seems like the engine shakes more now than it did before. I've checked the balance shaft alignment three times now, and TDC, the camshaft, and both balance shafts line up where they're supposed to. TDC aligned using the flywheel mark, the cam using the peek hole notch, upper balance shaft mark at 12 o'clock, and the lower balance shaft at the case marking, about 8 o'clock. I can't think of anything that could have been installed wrong to cause this.

Have I missed anything?

There is a slight trick involved...

Ok first make sure the flywheel is at TDC... Use the O.T. mark on the flywheel as viewed through the viewing hole.

Ok once that is done... verify the camshaft gear is lined up to the mark which it probably is.

Ok now you can take the shafts. Make sure they line up to the marks on the plastic cover.

If they do then you may have one of the balance shaft gears flipped.

On the upper one you shoud be able to see an "O" stamped on the gear through the round hole in the little cover.

On the bottom it is little odd as Porsche make a part change but here it goes.

if you see an "O" though the same round hole as you did in the upper shaft you have the lower one 180 degrees off. This will cause lots of vibes. On the bottom the "O" should not be aligned to the hole. On the top it is. If you see a "U" through the hole then it is right.

What happened is this.

upper shaft was marked by "O" for oben or Top in german the lower shaft was marked with "U" for unter or Under in german. The process was simple on the top the "O" is visible and the bottom the "U" was visible.

Well at some point Porsche changed this and said lets just use the same gear for both. So it was that the upper one did not change, but lower one now needed it be timed such that the nothing shown through the hole. This makes things a bit more complicated now.

Also to help the little plate I talked about has a clocking tab on it. This slides into the one of the two sware grooves on the gear. The other groove slides on to the key on the balance shaft. This serves to ensure the cover plate is always clocked in the same direction with respect to the balance shaft. It also means another way to look at the gear installation.

You can also install the upper shaft so the that "O" is lined up on the key. The lower gear is installed so that the "O" is 180 degrees from the key.

HTH !