Roll bar for hard top mustang

serpentnoir

I searched a little bit on the board and read some of the NASA rules but couldn't find a convincing answer.

I'm interested in participating in NASA HDPE events, I am a novice with a few open track events under my belt. Last year, in an effort to improve safety on my mustang I had a 6 point roll bar installed with Recaro Pole Position seats and 6 point Schroth harnesses (passenger and driver). Not knowing about NASA at the time, I decided to use the NHRA rule book for roll bars and had the roll bar all made of 4130 1.75" 0.083" wall tubing.

Would this pass NASA tech? Keep in mind my car is not a convertible.

Since a roll bar is not a requirement for HPDE in a closed car, you aren't subject to the minimum size or construction *provided* the roll bar installation would not possibly cause harm to the driver/passenger in an accident.

Now, if at some point you want to go w2w racing, you'll need to scrap it and start over.

Since a roll bar is not a requirement for HPDE in a closed car, you aren't subject to the minimum size or construction *provided* the roll bar installation would not possibly cause harm to the driver/passenger in an accident.

Now, if at some point you want to go w2w racing, you'll need to scrap it and start over.

While it is true that roll bars are not 'required' in HPDE, if one is installed it still MUST meet certian specifications. Refer to 11.4.7 in the CCR.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Vehicle weight DOM or ERW

Under 2000 lbs. 1.50" x .120”

2001 - 3500 lbs. 1.75" x .120"

Over 3500 lbs. 2.00" x .120"

Vehicle weight Alloy (CM)

Under 1500 lbs. 1.375" x .095”

1501 - 2500 lbs. 1.625" x .095"

Over 2500 lbs. 2.000" x .095"

That's what I was afraid of.

Since this is purely a hobby car used 3~4 times a year on a track I'm not about to cut everything out and start over. I guess no NASA HDPE for me. Bummer.

Thanks guys.

That's what I was afraid of.

Since this is purely a hobby car used 3~4 times a year on a track I'm not about to cut everything out and start over. I guess no NASA HDPE for me. Bummer.

Thanks guys.

Take it to a NASA inspection station in your area, get your tech sheet signed and show up for an event. While your wall is a tad undersized, I bet you'd be ok'ed.

Those specs are for wheel to wheel racing. I don't think there's a spec for HPDE. Your .083 tubed car has to be better than a bolt in cage. What model did you use? Autopower, Max Motorsports, Kenny Brown, or custom?

The cage was custom made/welded.

I read the rules and they seem to infer that indeed if you modify your car, the mods have to be to a certain standard. That is understandable. I can see the logic. No-one wants shoddy workmanship or substandard parts on a race track. But to hold the hard top car to the same standard as the convertible car seems a little excessive. The 2" diameter tubing has me a little puzzled. That is very big.

Serpent,

Contact Dave Royce (your regional director) directly and have him make the call. The intent of the rule is to keep you safe, not off the track.