HPDE Helmets

vitoal18t

I did my search, but wasn't able to answer my question, so thank you for all the replies in advance.

I want to invest money and buy a full face helmet. Looking to spend no more than $250.

I just want a helmet that I can safely use in HPDE and local AutoX events.

Since all new helmets are rated SM2005 they offer the same level of protection I guess. The only difference seems to be the comfort and ventilation.

Bell Helmets seem to be more expensive. At first HJC CL-15 helmet caught my eye for $109, is it a good choice for a beginner?

Also G Force Force 1 seems like a good full face helmet.

What are the prefered helmets worn by HPDE drivers?

Thank you!

I have 2 GForce helmets, Open Face SA2000 (use for HPDE) and Full Face SA2005 (Racing). Haven't had to test them out thank goodness but they work fine for me!

I also forgot to mention that I do wear eye glasses. It hasn't been a problem in the past for me to wear glasses and a helmet, but G-Force claims that their

G-FORCE PRO FORCE HYBRID helmet is idea for people wearing eye glasses.

Any experience with that anyone?

Thank you.

I've got the Bell SR Pro that I use for HPDE's. I really like it, but I think I would go with a full face helmet with a shield if I had to do it again. You can wear glasses/sunglasses easily, but it's somewhat of a hassle. Plus, I get debris coming inside the car from time to time while on track, so the full shield would be nice.

I have a bell M2, and i wear glasses. However i have really thin glasses. Is there a shop that has helmets in the area? if so, i would go and try some on. Even a motorcycle shop will give you an idea how helmets fit with glasses.

good luck!

I've got the Bell SR Pro that I use for HPDE's. I really like it, but I think I would go with a full face helmet with a shield if I had to do it again. You can wear glasses/sunglasses easily, but it's somewhat of a hassle. Plus, I get debris coming inside the car from time to time while on track, so the full shield would be nice.

Full shield is nice, but if you have someone in the car you are trying to communicate w/ and don't have a chatterbox, the open face is much easier. NOBODY can hear me in my car if I'm wearing the full face.

One last thing I need to clear up is M2005 vs SA2005

It seems like M2000/M2005 can be used for HPDE events and local AutoX.

However, rules state that a proper SA2005 helmet must be used for racing. SA helmets are test for impact with roll bars and have nomex lining.

I am pretty sure that I am atleast 18month away from my first actual race, plus race helmets should have HANS attatchements.

So if M2005 is good for AutoX, HPDE and other track events I think I'll initially invest ~$120 for my first helmet.

One last thing I need to clear up is M2005 vs SA2005

It seems like M2000/M2005 can be used for HPDE events and local AutoX.

However, rules state that a proper SA2005 helmet must be used for racing. SA helmets are test for impact with roll bars and have nomex lining.

I am pretty sure that I am atleast 18month away from my first actual race, plus race helmets should have HANS attatchements.

So if M2005 is good for AutoX, HPDE and other track events I think I'll initially invest ~$120 for my first helmet.

If you're only 18 monthes away from racing why not just spend the money once and get a helmet that you will always be able to use?

Giving my 2 cents...

I think a SA2005 will go a longer way. There might be other events you want to attend that don't allow M2005.

I am wearing eyeglasses as well and have a Bell M2 Sport. Not the best choice really since the eyeport is narrow but I have since gotten used to it.

Definitely get the Bell M3/M4 (or similar) where the eyeport is larger. It will help you ease in the eyeglasses.

I use a Simpson Voyager partly because of the size of the eyeport. I wear sunglasses while driving and it's no problem at all getting them on or off through the eyeport.

• 3 weeks later...

But technically, shouldn't helmets be replaced every couple years for safety's sake? So if it is 18mos. maybe a M2005 would be more appropriate for beginning. I thought SA2005's main difference from M2005 was for fire retardancy (nomex), not impact.

I am in the same boat looking for a helmet for a beginner. Glad I saw this post.