'Knee' Bars

genikz

I was inspecting my brothers new roll cage ('79 924 2.0) and his 'knee' bar goes right across the area his gauge cluster would reside in and makes it pretty much impossible to keep the stock gauges in the stock location. I was going to ask the same builder for the exact same cage, but obviously that wont work for me since I want to keep the stock dash and stock gauges.

Do you guys run a bar to tie in the forward hoops? Did you run into any obstacles? (Pictures would be great!)

Would something like this work instead?

front_post_detail.jpg

The June 2006 edition of GRM has a few pages on roll cage construction and they mention "they should be as far away from your knees as possible." While I understand their reasoning, is it really that crucial that this bar be up high?

If it makes a difference, I'm a pretty small guy and I don't think a lower knee bar would interfere with my driving style much, if at all.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I'm pretty much on the extreme end of 'pretty small guy', but the sitting position in a 944 is so low and elongated, my legs are nearly straight and parallel with the floor with an unmodified steering column. The point is, with nearly an identical bar as pictured above, my knees are a considerable distance from it. I can barely reach the pedals. A person of 'limited elevation' will have more concern cramming the windshield bar far enough forward so as to not have helmet contact while still being able to positively depress the clutch.

Here's the answer on this one. I've done it twice. Give the car to the cage builder with the dash in. Have him install the knee bar with the dash in , or mark the front legs of the cage where it can fit in, then remove the dash for work space. I saw one 944 where the gauge pod couldn't be put back in because of the knee bar. The cage builder didn't have the info on that limitation because the car came to him with no dash! Bar had to be cut out and repositioned!

On the 924S, I had the knee bar right under the steering column and immediately behind the computer. On the late models, the computer isn't there so it just goes close to the steering column. It's tucked in there pretty high, but you might still want to cover it with roll cage padding.

On the 924S, I had the knee bar right under the steering column and immediately behind the computer.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like the most logical choice given the layout.

Thanks everybody for your help!