Helical or Clutch Type LSD - Nissan 240sx 1997

mmdb

Hi, I'm looking to compete in time trial events later in the future and I'd like an LSD to complement my goals. I understand the nature of both LSDs (Helical vs Clutch) and I was curious what type you guys prefer. I ask because I'm hearing difference in opinion and I'd like to know what type you guys prefer and why. Thanks for you input.

Note: My car is RWD with circuit type coilovers and fully adjustable suspension.

^ I know. Drifters usually prefer the 2-way clutch type due to acceleration and deacceleration lockup for better drifting control.

I want this LSD for time trial events, NOT drifting. What that said, I'm looking at either a 1.5 or a helical type. Anyone else have comments bout their lsd/helical experience?

^ I know. Drifters usually prefer the 2-way clutch type due to acceleration and deacceleration lockup for better drifting control.

I want this LSD for time trial events, NOT drifting. What that said, I'm looking at either a 1.5 or a helical type. Anyone else have comments bout their lsd/helical experience?

Talk to the guys at Nissan Motorsports. I can tell you that the SE-R guys run clutch-type Nismo diffs.

I want this LSD for time trial events, NOT drifting. What that said, I'm looking at either a 1.5 or a helical type. Anyone else have

comments bout their lsd/helical experience?

Yeah.... (if you still want my help).

We used a viscous LSD in our 240SX (race car not drift car) and it didn't work well.

Why don't you spend a few minutes over at the kaazusa. com site. I think you'll find a good selection of 1.5way diffs.

I appreciate all the replies. I've checked out KAAZ and gotten some feedback from the users that currently have them in their cars, but no one from road racing has given me enough feedback to help me in my decision to purchase a clutch type or helical.

Another product I'm looking at is the Quaife helical type. Although, I believe it's likely the benefits of a clutch type might be better for better/faster lock on acceleration. Any opinions?

I've decided to go with quaife. Thanks for the inputs.

Hard to go wrong with a Quaife. They're pretty bulletproof. You might consider a diff cooler, though. They get hot when they're doin' their thang.

Disclaimer: My quaife experience is with FWD, and I'm assuming they're the same design for RWD.