questions by the newbie?

uberklasse

I was looking at some of the different websites from members and one in particular caught my attention. It listed some of the cars along with the dyno charts.

How can their be such a variance from car to car? Without factoring weight how would a car at 125 hp be expected to compete with one at 133 hp. 8 hp on 300+ hp cars is not that big of a deal, but with only 125 that is almost a 7% advantage.

Are there restrictions for how a car is painted and the amount of graphics etc. I read the rules and know about the numbers and required stickers, but am wondering if there is a sentiment that everyone should try to have a different main color?

Don't worry about 8 HP. Right now it's not worth it. Drive, drive, drive. Spend that money on track time and you'll improve more than the mods would give you. I did 1:43 last time at Willow and expect sub 1:40's next time. Untill I'm consistantly running the car at 100% and no one else can beat my times in my car I'm not touching a thing. Last time I had Glen Uslan drive my car he was 1 sec faster on the short track. Still have work to do but it's all driver enhancement. Extra large set of Huevos are on order.

Eric

Couple things , Jason. Eric is absolutely right. Spend your money on entry fees and beer. I believe Dylan's car was still a little heavy too?

I WOULD LOVE FOR EVERY 944-SPEC CAR TO BE A DIFFERENT COLOR OR HAVE A DIFFERENT PAINT/GRAPHICS SCHEME! The wilder, the better!

We could use some green cars? You should hear me groan everytime we get another guards red car........but that's what most of them were painted, right.

The web site you were referring to was Joe Paluch's. That's where the driver/number listing is too. Nice site. Informative. There are links on that same driver list that go to pictures of the cars themselves. Take a look so you don't duplicate someone else's car. That's another reason why I want everyone's pictures sent to Joe asap.

Jay,

the car already is unique. Spend your money on the important items, like driving. Have Glen look at the car, take some weight out by removing the anvil battery and exhaust/cat/cast headers. But then learn to drive it, it will surprise you how fast you can take corners. Remember, that car you have has been in the same second bracket as the current Big Willow track record. And I don't think the car was being pushed as it never stepped out or got testy on me once. It was quite the comfortable drive, it was more just my nerve at how little I was braking!

I think you will be reasonably fast pretty quickly based upon your 2 laps at the short track last weekend.

Have fun, leave the current unique paint scheme and put your balls to the wall, get it on!!!!!!

Dylan.

Jason,

From my experience most 944 spec cars are running 130 to 135hp. Personally I think is pretty good considering these are 16-21 year old cars most of which have seen hard lives.

Now I remember having a discussion with Dylan about his hp. 125 is a bit on the low side. At the time of the dyno he still had his Cat in place, was running the stock chip and the cast iron boat anchor headers. My guess is that changeing these things. (Delete Cat, Tube headers, Chip) will get you 5-7 hp and bring your car right in line with the others. I told Dylan this at the time. Don't forget the dyno charts from my car, Paul's old car #51, and Tom H's #61 were done on technodyne dyno, Tim's was done in San Diego and Dylan's 125 on a 3rd dyno. I would not be surprized to see a couple percent difference from one dyno to the next . So again a couple HP here and there. If you really are down on hp then there may be some basic mechincal issues with the car. Old plugs, Old wires, clogged injectors, etc that simple maintence will bring back up to factory spec. Again that is what happens with a 20 year old car.

That said unless you are getting at least 90% from the car that last couple hp won't make much difference. Based on you drive at the streets Dylan was a couple seconds faster than you in the same car and Dylan has not quite gotten to the speed level that Tim has. No big deal. Some seat time will bring you right there.

This reminds me of one Mr Paul Bloomberg. When we started this thing in Sept 2002 he was not really on the pace. He got used to point me by in practice. Well he did a bunch of tinkering to get more speed. Not much worked. Then in March he quite tinkering and day he did a bunch of seesions in the Rain at AMP. Got some confidence there. Did another AMP weekend and it all clicked. Next time our Paul and I were going back and forth setting new fast laps each time out in practice. Form then on Paul and I have had some great battles. I remember a number of times the two of us going down a straight away door handle to door handle neither able to pull the other. Really great stuff. Now Pete Yousko drives that car. Well see how long it takes Pete to get up to speed. Pete has and edge since he is used to driving his 951, but these spec cars are different due to their low hp. Once you learn to carry momentum you are set!

So...

If you want a couple more ponies I gave you a couple points. Otherwise just spend money on seat time. Really the best mod you can make.

BTW.... My car is painted with spray can!

All of the advice is very sound. I do need a lot of seat time. After various track events a couple years ago which included Skip Barber 3 day school at Laguna Seca and Jim Hall Kart schoo...I felt pretty good about my abilities. I am reallyrusty, but think I will be somewhat up to speed after a couple of events.

I only took 1 warm up lap and 2 timed laps in Dylan's(now my)car. The money isn't as much of a concern as my time is. I have a busy full time job as well as owning a small auto dealership.

I really want to jump right into the mix. My experience, knowledge and classroom time will hopefully allow me to skip some of the drivers education events. The fewer hoops I have to jump through, the sooner I can be out there to give you guys someone else to run with.

I am thinking of green as one of the colors...it will go well with my logo.

My buddy had an early 911 that was an original funky green and now he has one that is a dark green.....we'll see.

Now I remember having a discussion with Dylan about his hp. 125 is a bit on the low side. At the time of the dyno he still had his Cat in place, was running the stock chip and the cast iron boat anchor headers. My guess is that changeing these things. (Delete Cat, Tube headers, Chip) will get you 5-7 hp and bring your car right in line with the others. I told Dylan this at the time.

Joe is spot on here Jason, as we discussed, the car was/is completely stock with original air filters and rotors and plugs and wires etc. etc. PLUS, it's a 150#'s heavy. Obviously my time and then medical/financial situation limited how far I got with it. But with that said, on to Joe's next point.....

That said unless you are getting at least 90% from the car that last couple hp won't make much difference. Based on you drive at the streets Dylan was a couple seconds faster than you in the same car and Dylan has not quite gotten to the speed level that Tim has. No big deal. Some seat time will bring you right there.

Where's the love Joe? I was less than a second off the Willow Spec track record with 6-7 days in the car, TOTAL. That's with zero development time and the car needs a couple more things. I made the bet and I stand by it now, at the momentum track like Willow, I bet I could break that record with the car as it stands, let alone making a couple more mods to get that last little push out of it. If oppurtunity allows Jay, I'll put that car past the current track record of 1:39.?? without spending another cent on it. The car can be made faster, I'm not saying it can't. But as Joe and others have said, seat time, that will get you up there quicker than any mods at this stage. I only just started to get the confidence to not brake going into turn 1 maybe 50% of the time, wait until it's ALL the time.

Anyway, tim wears womans clothes, we let him win so he doesn't feel so bad about himself!

This is a fun group Jay, these guys are a good laugh and GIVE it as good as they TAKE it. So what yourself, or next they'll be telling you your off the pace! Oh, I don't drive Streets this last weekend, not sure the neck is quite ready, otherwise there would have been a bigger gap in times!!

Cheers dudes,

Dylan.

I was reading some old posts and I have to check out that video/cd that you made. How 'bout throwing in the camera to go with the camera mount?

We are going to have a lot of fun this year.....

Where's the love Joe? I was less than a second off the Willow Spec track record with 6-7 days in the car, TOTAL. That's with zero development time and the car needs a couple more things. I made the bet and I stand by it now, at the momentum track like Willow, I bet I could break that record with the car as it stands, let alone making a couple more mods to get that last little push out of it

Dylan.

Dylan... Sorry dude! I did not intentionaly mean that as a dig at you. I was just trying to make the example of seat time and speed differences. I have no doubt that the 1:39 at Willow will be broken. Early on alot of us were amazed how Rick White could turn a 1:36 at WS in heavier car. Well my guess is perfect conditions combined with lots of skill and seat time in the car. I think one of the spec drivers can get there too. It is just a matter of us drivers get the most from the cars.

Seat time is the biggest factor. Typically guys start out a little slow. The reason is that unless you have raced before and really race one these cars it takes bit of time to get to speed.

A guy that jumps in the car for the first time is probably going to be slower than some one with 5-6 races under their belt. That guy with 5-6 races will be probably be slower than a guy with 15-20 races. It seems to take 2-4 races before a guy coming from DE to get comfortable in the race car. Then a few more events before everything clicks and they start getting alot of speed from the car. Dylan you have had enough seat time to get comfortable in the car and with racing. Not sure if you been able to make the car click yet. My guess would have been that in the next couple event you would have been there. However having to sit out a while will set you back a bit. Car prep is important, but I have seen most guys gain speed over a few events just from the seat time not from car prep.

Driving these cars at the limit is harder than it seems. Quite honestly if my car feels stable in any corner it is because I am not going fast enough. If I feel like my car is right at the edge of stability then it going about as fast as I can make it at the time. If I learn bit more may be I can make it go bit faster still. There is a difference however between driving ragged and driving on the edge.

Bottomline is that seat time will get you there. Some guys get there faster than others. In So-Cal Tim is pretty much there as well as Dennis P. Dylan, Norik, Dave, Eric are getting there and each have been in their cars less than 1 year. Heck even Tim is right on 1 year in the car. Of course those years of racing under the belts of Tim and Dennis did not hurt either.

Joe,

That is exactly what I have been saying.Drive, drive, drive. Each time I go out I get faster. Last time at Willow I was 1:43.1. With 3 events on the Cal before my next trip to Willow plus a bit of coaching I know I'll be 1:40 or below. By the time Dylan gets back on track I'll give him a run for his money. Hopefully soon we'll be giving the front runners a run for thier money. At least if you have an off you'll have to really drive to get your position back.

I'm off to Vegas. Later,

Eric

Joe I was just messin' with ya! I know you were just making exmaples. I know the love's there.

But your points are spot on. Every time out in the car you go faster. That's why tim and his girlie suit is in trouble!!!

Dylan.