Trailer or not?

uberklasse

How many of you drive your cars to the track?

I am in So Cal and with Willow and Cal Speedway close by am thinking that I don't HAVE to trailer. If I do buy a trailer it will allow me to try and include my wife and young sons. I would be pulling with my wife's '00 Lexus LX 470.

Due to recent ownership change I will have to smog. The cat converter is still in place, the car is street legal. I am thinking about taking the cat and old headers out and replacing as well as removing the headlight motor out.

I would appreciate any advice and/or help with making my decision.

If you think a trailer is the way to go, please offer suggestions on makes, length and what to look for. I have done a lot of on-line research into prices etc. and want to stay under 2k if possible.

I trailer.

Since bringing my car back from the dead I have never registered it or insured it. It is track only for me. I use a old open utility trailer we had around. 18ft wood floor. With some modifications it works nice. I used to tow it behing my Jeep Cherokee (4.0L inline 6). It did the job around town, but not really good for long hauls. I switched to a 2500 Dodge V10. Huge difference. Plus enough space to car tools and spares.

Personally I like to trailer since the trip to and from the track is more comfortable. I can carry more spares and tools. If some happens I can always get home.

I simple 18 to 20 foot open trailer will do the job nicely. Rememeber to get tire rack on it and you will probably need rig-up some nice ramp extenders. I use 6 foot ramps and 5 feet worth of wood boars to get my car on cleanly.

Should be doable for $2k or less.

I drive my car to and from the track. This is not because I necessarily want to, but because my daily driver, an Audi TT, probably wouldn't pull so good

-Tyler

Couple things from my experience.

1. It's nice to be able to drive the car to the track. There's plenty of room for all your gear AND 4 tires on wheels if you pull the passenger seat. I drove my car out to PHX and to Fontana twice like that.

2. If you keep the cat on, get it registered and smogged, then insure it for the street that will give you 2 years to deal with getting a trailer.

3. For you new guys with fresh street cars, Get it insured before you start putting decals on it, or put the cage in.

4. Jeff Grow has the best trailer I've seen. Don't know the brand.

I drive my car to and from the track. This is not because I necessarily want to, but because my daily driver, an Audi TT, probably wouldn't pull so good

-Tyler

I don't know Tyler, I just had to drag my non-running 944 carcass from my sister's place to my new place with the 2001 turbo Beetle! Admittedly, it's a lease and so my care factor is low, plus the distance is about 2 miles. But still, the Audi should.... nah kidding.

Tim, on the insurance note, I updated my Progressive Insurance online with the 944 and they never asked to see it. Actually, I did it over the phone come to think of it, told them it was going to the track once a month and I just wanted Insurance to cover myself and under insured. No problems.

I just like the fact that I can beat you guys in a car that still has functioning headlights and working electric windows and headlights! DOH!!

Later,

Dylan.

I started towing mine to the track with one of those RV type towbars. My 944 isn't road registered, but I rig up the towing lights on it and tow it behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee (V8 version) (just being very careful that it is not in gear).

Would love to figure out how to hook up a tow ball on the 928 to do the towing, but that's probably not going to happen.

I won't be doing this for any long trips, but the 15 miles or so to the track are fine. The hooks bolt onto the bumper in the slots that the pads used to bolt through.

I thought about leaving the hooks in while racing, like horns, but thought that might be a little too aggressive.

Takes maybe 10 minutes to hookup and unhook. Total towing bar, lights, safety chains were $200. Since I don't have an RV gate or place to store a trailer, it will have to work for the time being.

Dylan and I went and looked at a 3 axle trailer today...it was close by. A little too big for just the 944. I need to find the smallest possible trailer so that I can park in the driveway if I need to.

I have heard of guys using a 16 foot trailer for a race car, but not sure if it will fit the 944. I did a ton of on-line research last night and have a little more knowledge on my options...now the hunt begins.

If anyone has ideas please let me know!!

I have a 16' trailer from Tex in Buena Park. It's a bit heavy but works great. I use boards on the trailer to sit the car at a slight angle so the door clears the fender. I also got longer ramps to make it easier to get the car back on/off.

Eric

I talked to a guy that made a custom trailer for his cobra (sure it's a replica) it's pretty short box, but I think I might try to go for it. He was a former shop teacher which is kind of scary, but it sounds like it has a lot of nice bits and peices. I am waiting to get pictures of it b4 I schlep to Northridge.

Will keep you guys updated?

Check also the SCCA Cal-Club's website - they tend to have trailers FS. Driving to the event is fine for a true street car (like I used to w/ my 993) or if you're track is local, but the cost of a single tow from Willow will just about pay for a trailer.

Thanks Jeff and everyone else

I actually found the link for the Cal Sports Car Club...nothing for SCCA specifically.

I not only found a great trailer ( a little pricey for me) but it is the funniest story. I was in the 3 day Skip Barber with the owners son, in fact we shared the car for the whole 3 days.

I am thinking about stepping up since it is an enclosed 20' Wells Cargo that is all set up, including a ton of nice extras. The good thing about a bigger trailer is that I can use it for my dealership. The bad thing is I will need a place to store it!!

that be da one!

Mike Miserandino, as I mentioned was my partner at Skip Barber and he was really fast (and young). From what I gather from talking to his Dad, he has won a lot of races in the past year and was first at the runoff's.

I was gathering all my driving history for Ryan, when I came across a letter from Mike's mom, Kris. Not only did she send me a picture of me in our open wheel racer, but she put it in a cool frame/card.

The racing community is a small one...even in So Cal.

The good thing about this trailer is I know it's set with all the little convience items for taking to track. I guess the awning set-up is pretty trick.....a good place for a bunch of us to beat the August sun at Willow.

I drive my car to the track and I find it has several disadvantages:

1. You have to change tires and keep an extra set of wheels with street or old tires so as not to waste your good track tires.

2. You have to register and insure the car and pass emissions.

3. If you have any problems at the track (which is going to happen sometime) you now have no way to get home without calling for a tow truck.

4. For a weekend event you can't leave your car at the track unless you have someone else to take you home and back Sat nite/Sun morn.

My car has passed emissions and I have 2 years to get the trailer and tow vehicle (I'm looking). I haven't decided between a small flatbed or an enclosed. In addition to the cost difference, the enclosed will need a much bigger tow vehicle. I'm leaning toward the small flatbed as I will only be towing the trailer a few times a month and it is hard to justify a big gas guzzler just for this.

By the way, I strongly recommend getting the AAA VIP road service package as you get 100 miles of free towing each event. It is a bit more than the basic package but one tow over the 5 mile basic limit will pay for it. If you use it more than 4-5 times per year they will charge you extra but again it is worth it.

Nice input , Steve. I'm going to try to drive my car to the track anyway. I've done it before. I figure that on the rare occasion my car breaks down, I can get a ride home, THEN rent a truck and borrow a trailer. That should save big bucks during the year for me.

Tim

Yes we all takes our chances. The other option, as you suggested, besides AAA is to rent a truck and trailer from UHaul on the occasions you need it. However, sometimes it breaks after the UHaul stores close.