Help, timing belt adjustments

billpennock

I got the Haynes manual for the 944 I bought from Bob Beck and looked immediately to find how to make sure the timing belt is adjusted properly. Low and behold, that page says paraphrased, since the tool to do this is not available to the public you must take it to a dealer. And that is the end of that. So my question is, can you guys send me to someplace that can tell me how to make sure the cam and balancer belts are adjusted correctly? I can't believe there isn't a way without going to a dealer?

Bill,

I have done many timing belt jobs. Not really hard, but tensioning without "The tool" requires "The touch". Unfortuantly not getting the tension right can mean a broken belt which 99% of the time results in valves hitting pistons. Not good.

If you are doing balance shafts there is a special balance shaft tool that you do need to pull the pulleys off. You can't do it without. Good this is that tool can be had and is not too expensive.

Also check out http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums

There are alot of 944 guys on that list can give advice on maintence. Some guys don't know very much, but others are wealth of information.

Timing the camshaft is easy. Flywheel at Top Dead Center. (at OT mark on flywheel when viewed through the hole) and camshaft at tick mark on the metal cover. Timing the balance shafts is not too hard, but does require a trick. Tom Spargo stated a "Vibration" thread just reciently where I posted some info on this "trick".

Now "the touch". Well I can't really explain it. My father learned it from fellow Mercedes-Benz technicial who spent number of years in the mid-80's at the Porsche dealership. After watching my dad do tensioning on our cars for a while I have learned it as well. It really just involved feeling the belts and how much tension is just right.

Thanks I'll try clarks-garage

Joe, I have seen non-factory adjusting tools on ebay, do you know if those are accurate enough to use? They are not that expensive.

Second, I was once a Power Plant Mechanic and Journeyman AC/Refer guy and so I have been around "feel" type things a bunch. If you could explain where the tool hooks and just how much deflection a "2" or whatever that darn tool says is and perhaps how many lbs of pressure that equates too I might be able to get it close enough. Of course that's a big if with probable bad consequences but I would attribute it to my interpretation not your explaination I promise.

If that doesn't work maybe comparing it the feel to the feel of a fan belt?

Bill

The feel is looser than typical belt. I have never used the tool so I can't compare.

basicly if you can twist the belt 90 without too much resistance it is fine. If you have to work at it, it is too tight. If it twists very easily it is too loose.

That doesn't sound too hard. The end result of that is it's loose enough not to stress the belt to breaking and not so loose as to skip. You have to take the whole front cover off to do that right? Is it the same for the balance shaft as well as the cam time belt?

Thanks a bunch

Bill

Well you can tension with just the upper cover plastic cover off. to change belts you need to take both plastic cover's off and the metal one under the cap and rotor.

Remember that new belts stretch and need to be re tensioned at 1000 to 1500 miles.

Balance belt is same procedure, but can be a bit looser since you are not pulling much load. There are two other things to watch on the timing belt.

1) make sure it is not so loose as to have the toothed side hitting anything. You don't want it to hang up on anything.

2) make sure it is tight enough to prevent it slipping on the water pump. Since this belt drives the water pump on the back side a loose belt can slip on the water pump and cause overheating.

It may be best to take it to a shop for the first time. This way they can get it right and then you can later feel this and try to match next time you do it.

Like I said it is not hard, but doing it wrong can cause very expensive repairs.